Switching to backplate and wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes.
My wife and I both took it. We didn't pass, but it was still the best course I ever took by far. Much of that was due to the instructor (Alberto Nava) and his patience. We actually took extra private sessions with him besides the class. Still didn't pass, but we got what we needed and more.
- Bill

Were the 300 yards in less then 14 minutes and the 15 meter underwater breath holding exercices the limiting factors ?

Were the 300 yards in less then 14 minutes and the 15 meter underwater breath holding exercices the limiting factors ?

I can't speak for Bill, but nobody should let themselves be intimidated by those exercises. My wife did the 300 yards in breaststroke, and another woman in our class did the whole thing in backstroke. I was a little intimidated by the underwater swim, but after practicing a few times in the pool before the class, I was able to do it.

AAUS is 400 under 12 min and 25 underwater -- yards or metres.

I can't speak for Bill, but nobody should let themselves be intimidated by those exercises. My wife did the 300 yards in breaststroke, and another woman in our class did the whole thing in backstroke. I was a little intimidated by the underwater swim, but after practicing a few times in the pool before the class, I was able to do it.

Agreed. I was intimidated as well not only by the breath hold swim but also the 300 meters. Practicing several times made me faster and able to do much more than the 300 meters. I did most of my practicing in backstroke since it was easier and faster for me, but the instructor wanted to see at least 2 strokes, so I did 2 or 3 laps in breast stroke. Our 15 meter breath hold swim also had to be done immediately upon finishing the 300 meters, without stopping. I made it to 25 meters because it was in a different pool and I wasn't sure where 15 meters was, but that was a lot harder than doing the breath hold when I was rested in practice. They said that if you had to do it in real life, you would likely already be out of breath and it simulated a real emergency situation.

BTW, I have extremely mild and rare asthma and I did it slow and steady in 11 minutes, so honestly, anyone can do it. A friend of mine who holds a provincial record did it in 6 minutes.

How do you get a 7-9lb difference in travel weight?

My Halcyon and ScubaPro steel plates both weigh 6lbs. My OMS AL plate weighs 2lbs. These are pretty standard weights.

My plates are custom plates made by scubaboard member FredT. My steel is the X-Long version of his heavy plate, plus 2-piece STA. I am not standard sized ;-). It's been so long since I bought the steel (2004?) that I don't remember the exact weight. Next time I do the vacation wing changeover I'll have to weigh the steel and AL side by side

Last edited:
My plates are custom plates made by scubaboard member FredT. My steel is the X-Long version of his heavy plate, plus 2-piece STA. I am not standard sized ;-). It's been so long since I bought the steel (2004?) that I don't remember the exact weight. Next time I do the vacation wing changeover I'll have to weigh the steel and AL side by side

That makes sense. I haven't seen those plates, but to be fair at 6' I don't really need a custom setup.

I was thinking you may be using the DSS with the weight plates bolted to it and taking it on trips with you.

Our 15 meter breath hold swim also had to be done immediately upon finishing the 300 meters, without stopping. I made it to 25 meters because it was in a different pool and I wasn't sure where 15 meters was

Very very bad idea. 15-metre rule in competitive swimming exists because if you put any kind of effort into your 300 m you'll build up enough oxygen debt to be at high risk of hypoxic blackout underwater. 15 metres should be safe if you're a trained swimmer and/or you did your 300 metres at glacial speed with zero effort. Otherwise I'd say your instructor needs to get a clue.

Golem Gear makes a SS plate with 35 lb wing - I'm diving this in cold Puget Sound waters ( drysuit) with about 22 lbs of weight. Wearing a LP Faber 95 c/f tank...and not too shabby ! Was about $ 400.00 with the taxes and shipping.

I really like the minimal design of this thing, and have dropped 7 lbs compared to my old Zeagle Ranger BCD. Nice!

Very very bad idea. 15-metre rule in competitive swimming exists because if you put any kind of effort into your 300 m you'll build up enough oxygen debt to be at high risk of hypoxic blackout underwater. 15 metres should be safe if you're a trained swimmer and/or you did your 300 metres at glacial speed with zero effort. Otherwise I'd say your instructor needs to get a clue.

He did tell us not to over exert ourselves and not push ourselves anywhere near the point of passing out. I normally practiced the 15 meters very easily, and 25 meters after the swim was harder, but I was not starving for air. I managed to pack in some air as he told me not to stop and do the breath hold swim. I am not a trained swimmer but the instructor intern had given me tips in our practice sessions once to twice a week for 3 months to be more streamlined and efficient. I did the 300 meters slow and steady since I was more concerned about lactic acid buildup.

Back
Top Bottom