switch to BP?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From a general point of view perhaps, but IMO not from the specific viewpoint of getting air out.

1) Use the minimum Capacity that safely meets the needs of a given application
Fine as a purchasing guide, but most people neither buy a wing for each type of dive nor carry them with them. Every wing is a compromise to a greater or lesser extent. So what difference will having a slightly different wing have on any particular dive? Remember that we are concerned here not with trim and streamlining, but merely with getting the last bit of air out on an ascent.

2) Narrow center panels, reduces tank wrap, little to no portion of the wing is above the centerline of the cylinder for a horizontally trimmed diver.
Matters to you making them perhaps, important even and will certainly help to eliminate pockets where air can get trapped, but how does that in itself help with getting air out?

From a general point of view perhaps, but IMO not from the specific viewpoint of getting air out.

Fine as a purchasing guide, but most people neither buy a wing for each type of dive nor carry them with them. Every wing is a compromise to a greater or lesser extent. So what difference will having a slightly different wing have on any particular dive? Remember that we are concerned here not with trim and streamlining, but merely with getting the last bit of air out on an ascent.

Tobin means, I believe, that you should have a singles wing and a doubles wing. However, if you do both cold water and tropical diving, a larger cold water and smaller tropical wing would be ideal.

2) Narrow center panels, reduces tank wrap, little to no portion of the wing is above the centerline of the cylinder for a horizontally trimmed diver.
Matters to you making them perhaps, important even and will certainly help to eliminate pockets where air can get trapped, but how does that in itself help with getting air out?

No to little air trapping means that it's easier to get the air out. No need for strange contortions and violations of trim

Last edited:

Ya, what do I know? I only design and build wings for a living......

Tobin

Ya, what do I know? I only design and build wings for a living......

Tobin

So you must be right? What about the other people who design and build wings for a living?

Actually #1 and #2 are most significant.

Tobin

I understand your desire to educate, but...

This is where you might have said "i'll ask around and can possibly find someone in your area that would let you try out this or that wing by DSS, or if you don't mind covering the shipping, would be happy to send you a wing to demo" (yes, i saw he's not in US)

Tobin, you do a great job of getting out there on the boards and getting the word out to the consumer, customer education, and name recognition.

but, sometimes, after a point, it's best to let the product speak for itself...

a few of the other smaller mfg's will do their best to get a piece of their equipment to the potential customer for demo (so said customer can make decision based on actual use) if you take the time to contact them. I know Halycon will do this, UEMIS will do this, Light monkey, DUI, Hollis, Light and Motion, Dive Rite to a degree, the list goes on... This is the purpose of dealers and field reps. if there is neither in your area, i know some of those mfg's will actually send you the item to try for a couple weeks. Some cover the shipping, some cover half the shipping, etc...

:)

(and this is a 'hint' to the consumers who are looking for new kit, find a dealer of the item you want to try, and go talk to them... if there is not a dealer in your area, email/call the mfg direct and talk to them...)

For years I was a dealer for Scubapro, DiveRite and OMS, amongst others. Tried Halcyon but gave it up. Had never even heard of Tobin's company until I read his posts here. I'm sure he makes good products and I would like to try them sometime.

I understand your desire to educate, but...

but, sometimes, after a point, it's best to let the product speak for itself...

Funny you should mention these two concepts, education and letting the product speak for itself.

With a few exceptions it's pretty hard to find post from me touting my products.

I do frequently make an effort to educate divers about what features of various designs actually do, i.e. how they impact the utility / durability / function etc. of a given piece of dive gear.

I'm pretty confident that enough buyers equipped with the knowledge to make an informed decision will choose DSS.

In short I'm happy to let the gear sell it's self.

Tobin

Well, my favorite hijack topic; ease of air release. It is really just simple physics.

A well designed vest BC vs a well designed back inflate BC vs a well designed bp/w BC. Can you really say that from a good dive trim body position (horizontal to slightly head down) the vest BC would not easily win an ease of air release contest?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom