switch to BP?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

halemanō;5366315:
Well, my favorite hijack topic; ease of air release. It is really just simple physics.

A well designed vest BC vs a well designed back inflate BC vs a well designed bp/w BC. Can you really say that from a good dive trim body position (horizontal to slightly head down) the vest BC would not easily win an ease of air release contest?

A well designed wing being used in the appropriate application vents easily.

OTOH wings that are basically retangular with wide center panels and way to much capacity are a gas trap.

Tobin

halemanō;5366366:
Nicely not answered!

I think what Tobin meant was that on oversized wing will vent poorly compared to the other examples, especially compared to a recreational bc with dumps all over the place.

I will add that a diver who is well practiced in multiple configurations will be able to vent anything with little difficulty, its about being smarter than your equipment :wink: .

Peace,
Greg

halemanō;5366315:
Well, my favorite hijack topic; ease of air release. It is really just simple physics.

A well designed vest BC vs a well designed back inflate BC vs a well designed bp/w BC. Can you really say that from a good dive trim body position (horizontal to slightly head down) the vest BC would not easily win an ease of air release contest?

I dive the DSS T-17# wing and the Oxycheq Mach V 30# and have previously used everything from a USD Horsecollar to Seatec (sp?) to an Ocean Edge to a Zeagle (Concept?) to a Mares syncro.

I find no meaningful difference in terms of air release from a horizontal to slightly head down position. Note: I tend to use the butt dump in that situation. I do wish the wings had the butt dump on the right rather than left side but other than that...

The biggest problem with Tobin's rigs is that they are addictive. :D Rather than steel or aluminum, I have his Kydex backplates and they are very light for travel. Personally, I prefer to use a BP&Wing for doubles diving and a hybrid for singles. I can't wait for Tobin to design one as I really like his attention to detail.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom