switch to BP?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In this case I would suggest printing the threads on rolls of soft paper. That way they can be "dual use". Finally, an appropriate end for some of the endless arguments about this topic. :D

:cool3:

someone post the link to jepuskar's video of jacket vs bp/w & how it gets the chicks.

I can't believe how much whining and worrying goes into luggage weight on these threads. You'd think people were dragging their bags up a mountain.
No, just through check-in. Cathay Pacific charges 1.5% of the full economy fare per kilo of excess baggage.

You need to broaden your choice of wings.

Tobin

I currently have 12 wings of different sizes and manufacturers.

The reason it can be difficult to get the last bit of air out of a wing is that the dump is rarely at the top of the wing, and some contortions can be required to get the remaining air to the dump. A problem also on some designs of BC. The Scubapro Glideplus is exceptionally well designed in this regard.

I currently have 12 wings of different sizes and manufacturers.

So?

The reason it can be difficult to get the last bit of air out of a wing is that the dump is rarely at the top of the wing, and some contortions can be required to get the remaining air to the dump.

It is on the wings I design.

Tobin

I don't know, but a slight tug on the inflator hose is hardly a contortion. It's not like the wings are rigid, you just pull it up. I always found it much more work to get all the air out of my SP jacket BC.

Tobin's wings have the inflator hose in the center for this very reason, as I bet he'll point out shortly.

Edit: yep, very shortly....

Tobin - you said I needed to broaden my choice of wings. Did you actually mean that I should get one of yours? If not I'm not sure what you did mean. I'm sure your equipment is thoughtfully designed - how have you overcome the problem most other manufacturers seem to have of there being floppy corners above the level of the BP/harness that air gets trapped in?

Another question comes to mind. If your wings outperform all others in this crucial aspect, how is it that no-one has copied your design?

Tobin - you said I needed to broaden my choice of wings. Did you actually mean that I should get one of yours? If not I'm not sure what you did mean. I'm sure your equipment is thoughtfully designed - how have you overcome the problem most other manufacturers seem to have of there being floppy corners above the level of the BP/harness that air gets trapped in?

Another question comes to mind. If your wings outperform all others in this crucial aspect, how is it that no-one has copied your design?

How to reduce or eliminate gas trapping:

1) Use the minimum Capacity that safely meets the needs of a given application

2) Narrow center panels, reduces tank wrap, little to no portion of the wing is above the centerline of the cylinder for a horizontally trimmed diver.

3) Long Narrow wing profiles see #2 above.

3) Small volume top arc, this should be self explanatory.

4) Centered fill / dump hose located at the highest point of the wing.

5) Rear OPV/ Pull dump located towards the outer edge of the wing.

Tobin

Of those by far the most significant is #4. If that is how your wings are designed then perhaps I should try one sometime.

That is how they are designed, and they are very easy to vent. My Deep Outdoors doubles wing, on the other hand, has the takeoff for the inflator hose well up onto the left shoulder of the wing, which means that you really need to be a bit left-shoulder-high to vent it completely, or butt high and use the butt dump.

Back
Top Bottom