switch to BP?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't forget and they look cool...

10-Eclipse-System_c400.jpg

with an Aluminum backplate it's actually rather light (i'll have to put it on the scale for exact numbers)

a small Aluminum backplate by itself from Halcyon weighs in at 1.8lb (0.8kg) a standard size is 2.0lb (0.9kg) which is a 3-4lbs reduction from the equivalent size SS plate (6lbs for standard, 5lbs for small)

http://www.halcyon.net/bc/single/infinity

I have dove 2 Jacket style BC's one with regular one with Back inflate only and Dove this Halcyon. By far it is way better then the 2 I dove. I felt way more comfortable and the open area give you a better feeling/mobility. As for the trim I do think the BC will help you trim out better, But as the others said it's mainly the diver and good diver can get in trim with properlly working BC. but I do think it is easier to do so with a BP/W wet-up. The other thing I like about them is any way you decide to go with the Sport you wont need a second one. Wreck/cavern etc.. all with this BC if you go doubles all you need is a doubles wing.

This set-up is customized to you, It's sizing can change anytime you change or feel the need to. Less things to go wrong with this style no extra snaps,clips or anything. 1 Piece webbing wrapped through. These are very durable and will last. As for weighting I have never weighed it. But I know the SS backplate is 6lb STA 6lb add the webbing/wing etc. maybe total 15lbs jus a guess. If your tight on weight you could always remove the 6lb STA and put in your carry on and re assemble once you get to where your going. Nice thing is more weight integrated into the BC less you need to have on your waist

I took my Bp/w south. I switch to my aluminium plate...less baggage weight...the total weight of the back plate and wing was shy of 12 pounds. ( this included a weight STA of 6 lbs)
With my Stainless plate (6lbs) it was around +shy of 17 pounds for the rig itself.

my dive gear baggage was just shy of 32 pounds...lots of room to bring back some rum....

Ok mattboy, you gave me a big grin and a strange vision here. I have never taken my laptop to the bathroom for some reading. Quite a visual!! :rofl3:

End of off-topic post....

Hank

Why not. I take my laptop or blackberry. Trying to come up with an arm table thing that drops down to set it on. Knees get real sweaty.

Now before you drink the kool aid, the Halcyon eclipse/infinity is about $720 - $820 cool as it may be, you could get 2 rigs for the price of one. Having owned a few bp/w, the H rig doesn't offer much more performance for the price over an oxycheq, dive rite or a deep sea supply.

Do more research but you want a really light travel rig that has most of the advantages of a bp/w rig n can do side mount, look no further than:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...h-first-last-bc-most-will-ever-need-want.html
or the dive rite transpac which a lot of my instructors use.

If you still prefer a alu bp/w, I really like the oxycheq mach v 30lbs wing (the toughest and most streamline design out there) which comes with an inbuilt sta so all you need are the cam bands, plate, hog harness, crouch strap and a couple of plastic bolts/nuts n your're done. A rig like that would barely tip the scales at 7lbs.

As for hoses, you could get something like this;
http://caveadventurers.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=44_65&products_id=485

Although, for open water dives, a 7' is a bit much. I use a 5' for open water dives.

If you want to add more weight to the rig you can just slide a couple of weights to the cam bands like this:

79136d1278867703-oxycheq-mach-v-zeagle-ss-bp-001.jpg

Give Edd (caveadventurers.com) a call.

SangP

Last edited:
My SS plate travels just fine, along with a can light and OMS Slipstreams. If I'm traveling to dive, I'm going to take the equipment I want to dive with. Adding the weighted STA is pushing it, especially on the return trip with damp neoprene, but I've done it several times. If I added an SLR and housing, that would change things, and I'd end up paying for a second bag.

Why not. I take my laptop or blackberry. Trying to come up with an arm table thing that drops down to set it on. Knees get real sweaty.

Good one Jim!! Send photos of the setup- the arm thing, that is...not the device in use though!!!! TMI :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom