switch to BP?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now before you drink the kool aid...

I have been begging for a "drinking the Kool Aid" emoticon for a year now... :)

You got this
koolaid.gif
or this
nokoolaid.gif
or this
badassbuddy_com-koolaid.gif

SangP

You got this
koolaid.gif
or this
nokoolaid.gif
or this
badassbuddy_com-koolaid.gif

SangP

You are a saint! Now let's get these into SB's list of smiles/emoticons!

Mods! I beseech you! Give us these emoticons!

A BPW won't totally solve a diver's trim problem, but would aid considerably in solving it. A fellow diver that I buddied with had horrible trim among other things. He's not a natural diver but had to work quite hard at it. He went out and bought the Halcyon Infinity rig. Literally overnight, most of his trim problems were gone. He was still slightly leg light, but by messing around with sliding the tank up and down on the cam band, he got the trim problem ironed out within 2 dives.

The BPW also aided him in venting the BC. He had a heck of a time venting his Scubapro Knighthawk via using the power inflator, shoulder inflator and the butt dump valve. For some reasons, air kept getting trapped in the bladder and won't come out, so the poor guy kept popping up. He had zero issue with venting when he used the Halcyon on the very first dive he made with it.

I have never used a wing that it was easy to vent the last bit of air from. By contrast, the Scubapro Glide Plus I used to use (and rent) had their standard shoulder dump and it was extremely easy to vent all the air from it. Of course, you have to know how to use it - try to vent air with your left shoulder down and you won't succeed.

I don't see why using a BP and W should make correct trim more easy than any other form of weight re-distribution. I have never had any difficulty establishing neutral trim in any diver I've worked with, using a conventional BC.

I have never used a wing that it was easy to vent the last bit of air from. By contrast, the Scubapro Glide Plus I used to use (and rent) had their standard shoulder dump and it was extremely easy to vent all the air from it. Of course, you have to know how to use it - try to vent air with your left shoulder down and you won't succeed.

I don't get how dumping air from a simple wing be any more difficult than a jacket?

Scubapro-july08-03.jpg

VS

bc-single-r.jpg

We're trained to dump air from the bottom dump valve not from the corrugated hose.

SangP

Why not. I take my laptop or blackberry. Trying to come up with an arm table thing that drops down to set it on. Knees get real sweaty.

In this case I would suggest printing the threads on rolls of soft paper. That way they can be "dual use". Finally, an appropriate end for some of the endless arguments about this topic. :D

I
but almost all BPs out there are stainless steel and they are most certainly not light.

Really? That's funny, I see lots of AL plates. In fact I have two.

But, to dispel one of the myths of travel weight, my steel plate/travel wing/harness/cambands set up weighs about 7 lbs, just about the same as many "full-featured" BCs, and much more compact for traveling. Sometimes I travel with it, sometimes I take one of the AL plates. It does not make that much difference to me; if I'm diving in a 3 mil suit or heavier I prefer the steel plate. Skin or shorty I go with AL.

I can't believe how much whining and worrying goes into luggage weight on these threads. You'd think people were dragging their bags up a mountain.

Buy something to improve trim? A third of the divers I see have the bottom of the tank bouncing off their butt. That will sure trim you head-up. Slide the tank highter on the BC and wear it snugly. That will get you correctly horizontal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom