Swimwear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You could also look into paddling shorts, the kind kayakers use that have a neoprene lining & look like a board short. They are relatively comfortable, manage some heat loss, and meet the modesty test.

Man, I love these forums - you people have some great ideas that it would take me years of trial and error to resolve.

Still tilting toward a submersible board short (billabong or ONeil) because I like that they have substantive, durable material, cover with modesty and I can wear these "into town" immediately after dive. This also helps me save on airline luggage fees as, if I fly with carry-on luggage only I save, and these can serve as multipurpose swim and shorts (saves on luggage items).

You want a tight pair of jammers or speedo or something under your wetsuit if you are wearing a tight wetsuit on your legs. With respect to modesty, as soon as you remove the wetsuit (and rinse off the urine) you just put a pair of board shorts over the jammers etc. Board shorts under a full wetsuit are gonna bunch up and bother you if you dive multiple dives per day.

I agree with johndiver. That's how we dive in Bonaire. Some type of jammers under the wetsuit and then just pull shorts over them when getting out of the water. The jammers dry pretty quickly - all synthetic materials.

I think you'll find you want some type of wetsuit if you're diving more than once a day. I'm a firm believer in some type of full suit for protection from jellies, fire coral, boat ladders, whatever.

I agree with johndiver. That's how we dive in Bonaire. Some type of jammers under the wetsuit and then just pull shorts over them when getting out of the water. The jammers dry pretty quickly - all synthetic materials.

I think you'll find you want some type of wetsuit if you're diving more than once a day. I'm a firm believer in some type of full suit for protection from jellies, fire coral, boat ladders, whatever.

I'd be appreciative of more elaboration/input on this point. This thread was begun by me under the presumption that I will not want to wear any more than swim suit/short and rash guard in warm (82 to 86 degree water). However, some are responding as if they always wear full body protection, even in warm water. I'd like to hear more different inputs on this point - what people think is best.

I'm not sure where all you'll be diving but personally, I've only seen 82 deg water in Bonaire on one trip in May. I mean, it was consistent for the week. I don't recall being overheated, even in my 4/3.

82F is a lot colder than 98 F, so you'll be dumping body heat the entire dive in a futile attempt to warm up the ocean. The first dive or two won't be too bad, but after a week, you'll feel it and chill fast. Especially if you have a lower body fat percentage. On the plus side, burning calories like that let's you really dig into the bacon double cheeseburgers.

I normally dive stuff in the 3 to 4 range, and white water swim it as well as paddle board it (I'm Canadian so work in the Celsius scale), and find 20C air temp hot. That's 39 and 68F respectively (if Google can be trusted). I still like a full length 3 mm for Caribbean diving so that gas, not thermal conditions, limits my diving. After a week straight of 4 dive days at SCC I have contemplated upgrading to 5 mm.

And I've banged shins & knees into enough crap on shore entries/exits & river swims to value the "protection" element of exposure protection. 3 mm isn't a lot to have between you and a pointy rock, but it is better than nothing.

Personally I would always tend to have some sort of wetsuit (3mm) on irrespective of temperatures. There are a lot of things underwater that can cause a problem such as inadvertent contact with a reef, jellyfish, lionfish, concretions on wrecks, etc. That is in addition to the scraped shins/knees on sore entries or from ladders.on boats.
This is all in addition to the warmth aspect that @Foothills mentions - even in 25C water you will be losing heat to the water and over the course of a few dives this adds up.

Back
Top Bottom