Swimwear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Suppresst

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Going to start diving again after 30 year hiatus from mostly wetsuit-diving in cool-to-cold water. Now intend to dive mostly warm water without wetsuit.

I know it sounds pretty basic to ask, but I'm just wondering what most men like to wear for swim shorts in warm water SCUBA.

Now, I have a couple pair of what I guess one would call just mid-thigh beach shorts that are loose fitting with mesh lining, but they don't cinch up very tight (just cotton-like drawstrings) and there kind of flappy underwater, including the pockets.

It seems to me that last thing one wants is to worry about shorts sliding down while diving, and it seems being "aerodynamic" would be nice underwater. I know about jammers, but modesty is important to me (in myself and others), so I don't want anything that comes close to displaying my anatomy. I've noticed Uzzi nylon basic swim shorts recommended on this web forum and they look promising.

So what do you think - what works best in terms of drawstring snugness, "aerodynamic" without being obscene, and whatever else make for comfort and utility while diving?

Personally I usually wear at least a full body dive skin just to protect from abrasions, stings, etc. But when I don't, it's something like a Sharkskin top (or under Armour) and a pair of board shorts. I've never had any issues with my clothes wanting to slip off during a dive. I suppose if you wanted to could dive in whatever you wanted, even if that meant jeans or even a full on tuxedo. Or God forbid just a Speedo. But if you're looking for "aerodynamic" and streamlined, a good dive skin will do the trick.

Akona Skin Suit - Lycra & Rash Guards - Scuba Equipment Dive Gear Best Prices

Henderson Lycra Hot Skin - Lycra & Rash Guards - Scuba Equipment Dive Gear Best Prices

NeoSport XSPAN Diving Shorts Unisex - Lycra & Rash Guards - Scuba Equipment Dive Gear Best Prices

Sharkskin Chillproof Front Zip Wetsuit - Wetsuits 3mm and Lighter - Scuba Equipment Dive Gear Best Prices

People do different things. I wear swim briefs because I can get them for $10 each, they dry quickly, don't take up much room in my gear bag, and are comfortable under a wetsuit.

https://www.swimoutlet.com/p/sporti-solid-swim-brief-swimsuit-19800/?color=209

I have it on good authority that many people believe I am too old and fat to wear them, and that I become a topic of conversation once out of earshot, but I just don't care.

I prefer swim briefs or form fitting Speedo trunks. It doesn't get bound up under the wetsuit and it's comfortable. I honestly don't care what other people find obscene, I stopped worrying what other people find acceptable back in grade school.:yeahbaby:

When I'm in water warm enough for no wetsuit I wear something like this:

images (13).jpeg

I agree the drag is a factor but it's minor enough I haven't noticed a decrease in bottom time or increase in fatigue as a result.

I also have a few hundred dives in jeans. Shorts were considered not modest and legs needed fully covered. We can adapt... Do whatever is comfortable.

And welcome back to diving!

Cameron

When you consider the rest of your gear and how much drag that contributes to you overall, you realise that shorts are not that big an issue. I certainly haven't noticed much of a difference in wearing baggy shorts in a pool as opposed to a pair of swim shorts.

Board shorts and a Mako Rash guard. If it's cold enough to require a wetsuit, I'm in my drysuit.

Have you considered jammers or a compression short (like underarmor) under boardshorts? True boardshorts do not have mesh liners so there are a whole set of undergarments that are marketed. I wear either a swim brief or sqaureleg shorts under mid thigh boardshorts (Old Navy or Birdwells Beach Britches) in warm water and it seems to work just fine for me. In any event, check out swimoutlet.com. they have a lot of options.

Personally I usually wear at least a full body dive skin just to protect from abrasions, stings, etc. But when I don't, it's something like a Sharkskin top (or under Armour) and a pair of board shorts. I've never had any issues with my clothes wanting to slip off during a dive. I suppose if you wanted to could dive in whatever you wanted, even if that meant jeans or even a full on tuxedo. Or God forbid just a Speedo. But if you're looking for "aerodynamic" and streamlined, a good dive skin will do the trick.

Akona Skin Suit - Lycra & Rash Guards - Scuba Equipment Dive Gear Best Prices

Henderson Lycra Hot Skin - Lycra & Rash Guards - Scuba Equipment Dive Gear Best Prices

NeoSport XSPAN Diving Shorts Unisex - Lycra & Rash Guards - Scuba Equipment Dive Gear Best Prices

Sharkskin Chillproof Front Zip Wetsuit - Wetsuits 3mm and Lighter - Scuba Equipment Dive Gear Best Prices
Yeah. My one tropical dive trip I wore my regular swim trunks under my full body suit. No problems.

Back
Top Bottom