Swimming on your back with a wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Basically what everyone else said and +2 on the easychair comparison.

I find it to be more comfortable than swimming vertically in a jacket.

Like everyone else said, I find it very easy. just don't inflate the wing all the way (if you "need" it inflated all the way, then you're grossly over-weighted), that's when you can have issues with it pushing you forward - but that's just physics.

You attract all the sea otters to your yard!
It's comfy. If you don't feel comfy, try playing with how inflated your wing is.

I found it to be WAY faster than swimming on my back with my Zeagle.

The only problem I have (other than having to frequently check my course to correct for my inexplicable tendency to turn left) is that the damned sun can be very bright. I wish there was a mask that had a sun shade you could pull down, like the fighter pilots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If you are only swimming a short distance, then it is a non-issue. If you want to swim a few hundred yards, you should have a snorkel you can pull out of your pocket and use to swim face down, ultra low drag and efficient forward speed--as opposed to being pathetically slow swimming on your back with any BC ( with body no where near horizontal and pushing a big bow wave).

I swim on back, in a few cases for over a mile. I find it much faster, safer and preferable and easier to navigate than face down with a snorkel. N

The only problem I have (other than having to frequently check my course to correct for my inexplicable tendency to turn left)
Funny because I seemingly remember you and Keith turning RIGHT at Pt Lobos the day I got yelled at for solo diving when really all I did was go straight to the boat ramp, after we surfaced.

There is compass on your wrist to keep you going in the right direction...yes even backwards :wink:

One other thing is at the surface I shut my drysuit exhaust valve and pump just a little air in to provide some extra area for movement, by relieving the squeeze.

Dan and Nemrod -- I agree with Nemrod that it is easier/faster to swim on my back -- especially with a 130 and a drysuit and a weighted BP. By having the gear IN the water (especially the tank), it is just easier on my back.

I think this is just another one of those "The environment makes a big difference" and cold water/warm water environs are treated differently.

Dan and Nemrod -- I agree with Nemrod that it is easier/faster to swim on my back -- especially with a 130 and a drysuit and a weighted BP. By having the gear IN the water (especially the tank), it is just easier on my back.

I think this is just another one of those "The environment makes a big difference" and cold water/warm water environs are treated differently.

Yes, the cold water issue is huge..... While I have a TLS 350 Drysuit, custom fitted, I HATE the garbage scow of an exposure suit!!! They make the diver so slow in the water, it essentially turns you in to a physically handicapped or challenged diver. Speed potential is maybe one third for full speed bursts, and crusing speed is about half. Even if you lie down on the sand to shoot macro, the suit gets pulled on by current that you would never feel with a slick wetsuit.

If I lived in a place where I had to use the drysuit all year, I would really consider giving up diving....or, going with a much smarter but bleeding edge alternative, like an electric heated undergarment suit like thermalution Yellow Grade - Thermalution.us , but more powerful, and more reliable....and wear this under a 2mm non-bouyant high tech fabric maybe at the next evolution beyond Polartech. No drag, slick in the water, no buoyancy nonsense, and good down to 50 degrees.

Did I mention I HATE Dry suits!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom