Aqua Lung Dimension BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ez E

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
This is the newer model that does not have the i3 inflator system that I know got some hate.

Anyway. Im finally wanting to purchase my own BCD. This model fits and seems nice. It has the bladder on the back to give a “feel” of BP/W. Im thinking of using something like this for a few years and then maybe going to a BP/W.

What are your thoughts? I like the weight system a lot also. Seems very easy to ditch and replace.

That's a lot of BC. Unless you take a size small that has 29 lbs of lift, the "wing" is way over sized. 42 lbs of lift is enough for a set of doubles. The clips that hold the "wing" from flopping around are a entanglement hazard.
I would take a look at the Dive Rite Hydro Lite, it's a lot closer to a BP/W style.Hydro Lite BCD - Dive Rite
If you are stuck on Aqua Lung, the Rogue is closer to what you will need although 35 lbs is still a fair amount for single tank diving. Rogue: dive BCD | Aqualung®

May I ask why you aren't going with a BP/W now?

I have over 200 dives on my Dimension and I love it. The bladder is big but it is never close to full on the surface while getting on the boat or doing a swim out shore diving. I never felt while in close quarters that anything was going to snag. It has 2 roll up storage pockets and for the most part I like the weight set up.I use the octo holder and route my gauges under the velcro hold downs. . pretty streamlined Very comfortable

That's a lot of BC. Unless you take a size small that has 29 lbs of lift, the "wing" is way over sized. 42 lbs of lift is enough for a set of doubles. The clips that hold the "wing" from flopping around are a entanglement hazard.
I would take a look at the Dive Rite Hydro Lite, it's a lot closer to a BP/W style.Hydro Lite BCD - Dive Rite
If you are stuck on Aqua Lung, the Rogue is closer to what you will need although 35 lbs is still a fair amount for single tank diving. Rogue: dive BCD | Aqualung®

Im not stuck on anything per se. My closest and best shop(from customer service standpoint) has a few different BCDs. I dont care for the Mares and the Aqua Lung fits and seems great. I know I will eventually do a BP/W but for now(the next few years atleast) I want to be able to try something on that I like. As long as its not ******. The BP/W combo and trying them on is basically non existent in my AO.

I don't understand why you'd buy a conventional BC if you're planning on ending up in a BP/W anyway. What do you think you'll gain from the experience? My Halcyon set-up was the very first thing I purchased following my OW class and I've never had reason to consider anything else, except for the sidemount rig I used years later in the Mexican caves. As someone else mentioned, 40+ lbs of flotation for a single tank is just silly.

I don't understand why you'd buy a conventional BC if you're planning on ending up in a BP/W anyway. What do you think you'll gain from the experience? My Halcyon set-up was the very first thing I purchased following my OW class and I've never had reason to consider anything else, except for the sidemount rig I used years later in the Mexican caves. As someone else mentioned, 40+ lbs of flotation for a single tank is just silly.

Well like I said in the OP “maybe”. Its not a guarantee. I know a lot of people like them and it may be something I will want to try in the future.

There is a shop 45 minutes from me that sells Dive Rite. Their website is showing some options. I’ll probably find a time to get over there and see what they have.

There is a shop 45 minutes from me that sells Dive Rite. Their website is showing some options. I’ll probably find a time to get over there and see what they have.
If your not stuck on Aqua Lung, then I would recommend the Dive Rite Hydro Lite. Dive Rite is a well respected company that has been in business for a long time.

Im not stuck on anything per se. My closest and best shop(from customer service standpoint) has a few different BCDs. I dont care for the Mares and the Aqua Lung fits and seems great. I know I will eventually do a BP/W but for now(the next few years atleast) I want to be able to try something on that I like. As long as its not ******. The BP/W combo and trying them on is basically non existent in my AO.
Most all of my gear is Mares because my local dive shop is a dealer, but I don't care for their BC's either.
My BC is a Sub Gravity 3mm aluminum back-plate, 26 lb wing with adjustable harness.

What is the concern with too big of a bladder? Serious question as I dont know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom