Aqua Lung Dimension BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is the concern with too big of a bladder? Serious question as I dont know.
When the bladder is too big it tends to "taco" the tank. That can lead to air being trapped on one side of the tank and not fully deflating when you want it to. A more compact wing, 28-32lbs of lift, is in the ideal range for lift for single tank diving. Even in cold water with a pony and 30lbs of lead on me (belt and BP/W waist pockets) I'm still using a 32lb wing. I'm looking to get a 40+lb wing for when I move to doubles.

Ok so it sounds like that BCD is out of the equation. Too bad. It feels very nice. I will keep trying stuff on at my other LDS’s and see what else feels good.

Ok so it sounds like that BCD is out of the equation. Too bad. It feels very nice. I will keep trying stuff on at my other LDS’s and see what else feels good.
I think you're making the right call. The first BC I bought for myself was the Dimension with the I3 inflator. Sold it after about 30 dives. Taco city.

I think you're making the right call. The first BC I bought for myself was the Dimension with the I3 inflator. Sold it after about 30 dives. Taco city.
I wonder why they put such a large bladder on it? Wonder if its a safety thing to allow for a lot of lift if someone is overweighted?

I have a friend selling an Apeks WTX harness with wing and a bunch of other ad ons. I would buy it but the harness is an XL. I probably need a medium to large.

When the bladder is too big it tends to "taco" the tank. That can lead to air being trapped on one side of the tank and not fully deflating when you want it to. A more compact wing, 28-32lbs of lift, is in the ideal range for lift for single tank diving. Even in cold water with a pony and 30lbs of lead on me (belt and BP/W waist pockets) I'm still using a 32lb wing. I'm looking to get a 40+lb wing for when I move to doubles.

What is the best way to determine how large of a wing you need? Also how are most people figuring out the amount of weights you need? I rent my BCDs and I ask them their opinion on weights. They have been pretty spot on and I have documented my weights in my log.

What is the best way to determine how large of a wing you need? Also how are most people figuring out the amount of weights you need? I rent my BCDs and I ask them their opinion on weights. They have been pretty spot on and I have documented my weights in my log.
For tropic diving, an 18-20lb wing would be sufficient with AL 80s. For a good all around single tank wing stick to the 30-32lb range. They hug the tank and generally avoid trapping air. The other thing to consider is bladder shape. For a back inflate or BP/W a donut is best imo. Horseshoe style where the bladder is not connected at the bottom "can" be a bit more finicky in dumping air.

A lot of people have varying opinions on a lot of this. I say go with a BP/W and be done with it. An AL backplate and 32lb wing will get you diving trim until you know you need more. At that point you just change your wing to a bigger one for doubles, get a sidemount rig, or go to a CCR.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom