Swim test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Remember that this is not a competition. If you're nervous, do some slow deep breathing and visualization before you start (for example, imagine yourself on scuba swimming below you, having successfully completed the course).

A good plan is to start your swim at about half the speed you think you can maintain. That way you never get winded and stressed. You might even choose a song you can sing to yourself to keep your pace even.

-Bryan

... if you get tired you can pause and float on your back a minute or two ...
But be aware that some instructors (myself included) have interpreted "continuous" to mean continuing to make forward progress. Floating on your back and doing gentle hand-paddling or light kicking can still be quite restful while continuing to chew up the distance.
The main intent of the test is (I think) to ensure that students are comfortable in the water.

But be aware that some instructors (myself included) have interpreted "continuous" to mean continuing to make forward progress. Floating on your back and doing gentle hand-paddling or light kicking can still be quite restful while continuing to chew up the distance.
The main intent of the test is (I think) to ensure that students are comfortable in the water.

exactly which is why I recommended that people consult the instructor before entering the course. Every instructor has a different expectation then another. I am no instructor but I do agree the aim of the course is water confidence and ability to meet set criteria.

Just swim a couple times a week, increasing the number of laps each time. And you can take one or two lessons as well. You'd be surprised how quickly you improve (if you had basic swimming skills already). In my case, I hadn't swum in 4-5 years, but I knew how to swim, and within a couple of weeks, I was able to do more than 20 laps (25m) easily.

For me, this happened after my scuba swim test, which I passed but with some effort. The struggle motivated me to improve my swimming abilities. Now I swim a few times a week.

Edit: It'll be much easier if you alternate laps between a leisurely freestyle with breaststroke. Breaststroke is supposed to be the "resting" lap.

Scuba-noob got it right. You said you were "by no means a non-swimmer". Just parctice a bit. You'll be surprised at how fast you can work your way up to 200 meters. And, as a bunch of others said...take your time.

Check whether you can do the 300 mask/fin/snorkel instead of the 200 (I found this much easier if one is not in great "swimming" shape). Which one you must do seems to be entirely up to the instructor. Also, my thought is you really can't take, like, a half hour to do this, even if you never actually stop or touch the side, bottom, etc. Aside from that meaning you're not doing it "comfortably", there is usually only so much pool time allotted for this stuff.

Just keep swimming : )
Any way, any style as long as you get from one end to the other, good luck and happy bubbling !

As others have mentioned there is no need to swim at breakneck speed... swim really slow and 200m shouldn't be that much. The key is to master the float position well, once you do that you could simply float your way down while pulling yourself forward slowly. Most people tire out because they are fighting to stay afloat without the knowledge that with the right breath control and position the human body will float on water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom