Swim Speed with Scuba Grear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did 100' in 1 min 23 sec with 40 kick cycles. Averages out to 69 feet per minute. Totally undistracted by anything fun.

We timed ourselves during a Navigation class dive.

This is how we did it:

Need a person to stay on shore and time you with a stop watch.

1) Take two stakes and attach a 100' of bright colored rope (thin), one end to each stake.

2) Plant one stake in about 3' of water, and then run the other stake out to deeper water, it doesn't really matter how deep, but we planted it in about 15-20' of water.

3) Start at the 3' of water and swim (submerged with your regulator in your mouth) out to the other end of the stake. While you are swimming out, count your kick cycles. A kick cycle is when you kick one foot up and down, and then the other up and down. That is one KICK. REMEMBER THAT NUMBER,

THEN turn around and swim back to the stake that you started from, counting your kick cycles again. Hopefully you will have the same number of kicks, but if you don't, take an average. it takes me 23 to 24 kick cycles to swim 100' in 61 seconds. Moving at a 'steady' pace, but not swimming hard.

You person up on shore should have been timing you. Take that time and divide it by two, since they have no idea when you reached the deeper stake, since you are underwater where they can't see you and all, and that is how long it takes you to swim 100'. You can then convert that into miles, inches, meters, or whatever you want and it holds true.

Just for fun, we did a second swim out and back and timed it again, without counting the kicks to see if the time would be the same, mine was a little faster, but that is because the more I was just warming up on the first one, but some of the divers that are a few years older than me took a few seconds longer, since they were wore out from the initial swim. It is all relative to your VO2 Max. (how good your cardio system is working).

Just about every diver swims at a different speed, my fins say that they will go a lot faster than I was moving, but I imagine they are talking about the strongest of the swimmers when they talk about max speed with fins.

Keep in mind, depth, weight, and how you are feeling that day might come into play too, sometimes it is easier just to plan a dive around kick cycles and distance that you cover with X amount of kick cycles. Hope this helps. Just sharing what I learned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom