Suunto Vyper--difficult to use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Upwelling

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hi,

I'm sorry if this has been discussed already--I tried to look through the threads but didn't see it.

I read a lot of good things about Suunto Vyper on here, but then I went to Rodale's and they criticize it for various things: buttons are too hard to push with gloves on, screen is difficult to read, its not clear which buttons do what, and the manual is bad. I've never used a dive computer before so I have no idea what to think. Have the Vyper owners experienced the problems above? thanks

used my Vyper, scrolling around the various screens was a little confusing (compared to the hockey puck type I previously used).

I found that consulting the flowchart at the back of the manual was much more helpful than reading the text. Some people laminate the chart and toss it in their gear bag for a reference.

As far as the buttons go, they're a little stiff, but not really an issue in my experience.

I like the display and find the info easy to process. Mine stays in Gauge Mode most of the time so there really isn't that much to deal with.

Well, the manual IS pretty complex, but eventually you'll find everything you need to know.

The screen is fine. It's certainly better than the teeny watch faces you get on the ever-increasing models like the Stinger. You always want a nice big fat screen.

As for the buttons, well here's the rub. Unlike many dive computers which sport one or two buttons, the Vyper has THREE. That's a major selling point for divers that actually DO things with their computer (plan dives, adjust mix settings, download logs, etc.) as opposed to folks that simply want a digital depth gauge with decompression algorithms and a clock. So yeah, the extra button(s) CAN get confusing, especially underwater.

And the buttons are metal and not particularly big. They're not easy to push, even with fingers. I would have to agree with Rodale's on that account. You don't want to have buttons ultra-sensitive and going off for a nothing, but a little improvement (bigger size or greater sensitivity) would be nice.

I love this computer. Spent months researching it and annoying the LDS. On liveaboards I just keep it on my wrist all day. Makes me look cool, sort of.

archman:
I just keep it on my wrist all day. Makes me look cool, sort of.

Archman, I know you don't really think this is cool. :frown2:

IMO the manual is very straight forward. All you need to do is use a few times and it becomes easy to operate. I have never found the buttons hard to push.

First, I like the computer. I use it in a consol not on the wrist. But, the buttons are too small, the reout is too small, and the sequence one must learn to access the various functions is confusing. I've dove with this about 60 times, over the past 13 months and still have to refer to the manual occasionally. Oh and yes, they should included the serial cable in the purchase price not as an accessory. :scubadive

thanks--I still can't seem to make up my mind though.

metaldector:
First, I like the computer. I use it in a consol not on the wrist. But, the buttons are too small, the reout is too small, and the sequence one must learn to access the various functions is confusing. I've dove with this about 60 times, over the past 13 months and still have to refer to the manual occasionally. Oh and yes, they should included the serial cable in the purchase price not as an accessory. :scubadive

My wife and I have used the Vyper for three years. As previously stated, the three buttons are apparently required due to the extensive capabilies of this computer. The buttons have not been difficult. However, I rarely use gloves.
The screen is well laid out with the display large enough to easily read. I wear reading glasses but have no problem with reading the display. Improvements in the manual could be made. (perhaps they have been - I purchased my Vypers in 1999)
I just returned from a live-aboard. An instructor on the trip had recently purchased several Vypers to provide his students. He forgot to bring the manuals and was making the first dives with them. I loaned him my manual and provided some operating advice. By the end of the next days dives, the instuctor and his students were competent in the Vyper operation and very satisfied. One student discovered that the Vyper and conventional dive wisdom will not tolerate a 40 ft accent within 20 seconds. The Vyper locked the diver out for 48 hours. The Vyper profile for this dive quickly identified the students error.
My wife likes the unit so much that she just purchased the similar air integrated Vytec.
Continue your research, good luck with your decesion.

I own the vyper and have never had a problem with it yes the buttons are small but a great computer, i just bought the vytec also a great computer had to remind myself to quit searching for my guages duhhhhh it is all on my wrist now. took it to 140 today in the nest down in brooksville worked great..

I got mine a few months ago, it's my first dive computer so nothing to compare it too.. but love it, the display is easy to read & the operation is simple. I like it's "smart" button & find the menu interface very intuitive.. but I keep the reference card in my log book just in case. I guess I don't mess with the buttons too much underwater so they haven't been an issue for me. I agree the computer interface should have came with it though!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom