Suunto Vyper--difficult to use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Four computers?? Wow...

I decided to go for the Aeris because of the large buttons and display, and because I figure if its better to have a more liberal computer because then I have a choice to either go by the computer's algorithm or dive much more conservatively. If I bought an overly conservative computer I don't really have much of a choice anymore.

DEEPLOU:
After all the comments what more can I say, especially since you have aquired a computer already.

Well....
Aside from the comments on the Viper, I will add that I find it extremely conservative. Some people consider this a plus, others a negative.

I own both Viper and the Atmos 2.
The Atmos 2 is the most aggressive of 4 computers I own.
I do find that the Viper is a little easier to find right screen (usually for settting O2). But the Atmos buttons are more finger friendly.

Both have nice large numbers easy for the elderly (like me) to read.

The other thing Viper does that I do like is when you ascend above 20 ft (not in deco mode) it begins a 3 min safety stop timer.

What I don't understand is the belief that a more liberal computer is some kind of benefit. The Vypers do offer the ability to set them as more or less conservative within a certain range but if you like a particular brand because it's programming allows more bottom time then why pay any attention at all? The computer programming doesn't prevent DCS, does it? Overall, the Vyper are great but I do agree with the issue of the buttons being too small. With a pair of 5mm gloves it is hard to compress them. I tried to get the wrist mounting for the Vytec from my LDS but couldn't. That would be an ideal solution as the Vytec has larger plastic flaps over the buttons, making depressing them a breeze.

Well, other people on this board have said that the Vyper is just as restrictive as using the tables. That's what turned me off.

yknot:
What I don't understand is the belief that a more liberal computer is some kind of benefit. The Vypers do offer the ability to set them as more or less conservative within a certain range but if you like a particular brand because it's programming allows more bottom time then why pay any attention at all? The computer programming doesn't prevent DCS, does it? Overall, the Vyper are great but I do agree with the issue of the buttons being too small. With a pair of 5mm gloves it is hard to compress them. I tried to get the wrist mounting for the Vytec from my LDS but couldn't. That would be an ideal solution as the Vytec has larger plastic flaps over the buttons, making depressing them a breeze.

junko:
Well, other people on this board have said that the Vyper is just as restrictive as using the tables. That's what turned me off.

I've had a vyper for about a year now and I think its great. Once you get used to the layout of the screens its pretty straight forward to set, and I really seldom find a need to push the buttons underwater, so their size hasn't been an issue for me.

As far as being as restrictive as using tables, hmm I don't think so, the Vyper may have a conservative algorithm but by simply eliminating all the rounding that occurs during table use, it significantly increases your allowable bottom time.

junko:
Well, other people on this board have said that the Vyper is just as restrictive as using the tables.

Well if you read it here then it must be true. :rolleyes: :D

That claim has been oft-quoted, but I haven't been able to find any real proof. I've seen postings with things like "me and my buddy went diving with his Data Pro and I ran out of time first" type posts. But after searching on the net, I found a couple of articles.

http://www.divernet.com/gear/comps699/main699.htm

You can also find posts here on scubaboard that state when you take your Vyper into deco, it actually becomes quite liberal.

The best article that shows which computers uses which decompression algorithms and compares NDL's at different depths.

http://www.scubadiving.com/article/0,7424,2-35-56-608-1-5X10-3,00.html

Interesting reading.

Marc

I have a Vytec and a Stinger, and used to own a Vyper, which I sold after getting the Stinger.

I like the Vyper/Cobra/Vytec user interface. Although navigating the menu takes a few seconds to get used to, once you figure it out it's really easy to get to where you want to be.

As for the conservatism, one thing to note is that the Suunto computers will penalize you if you continuously violate the ascent rate or do repetitive dives with short surface intervals in between, making it more conservative in those cases. Having seen many many people habitually dive this way, I wouldn't be surprised if some people find the Suuntos even more conservative than normal.

FLL Diver:
I've seen postings with things like "me and my buddy went diving with his Data Pro and I ran out of time first" type posts.

Marc
Me and my right wrist and my left wrist went diving and my right wrist ran out of time first. :54:

As a newbie, I didn't own a computer until January 2004. I was preparing to go to Hawaii and would be making several dives and didn't know if I needed a computer. My LDS recommended one, but I didn't know if they were just trying to sell me equipment. So I called the dive operator I would be with in Hawaii and posed the same question to him. I let him know that I would be bringing the computer with me, if I needed one, so he wouldn't get the idea I would be buying one from him. I also told him that I was considering the Vyper and the Atmos 2. He highly recommended a computer and told be they called the Atmos computers the "get bent" computers and recommended the Vyper.

I bought the Vyper and it was a little confusing at first, but only when I was trying to understand what I was seeing when bringing up the dive history. Now, after 10 dives and playing with it some more, I find it's really quite easy to use, once you understand the button sequence.

After buying the Vyper, I bought a package equipment deal from my LDS and it included an Atmos 1 on the console. So now I have 2 computers, but pay little attention to the Atmos 1. After coming home, I compared the two. They were within a minute of each other on dive time and 1-2' on depth. However, I rely on my Vyper for critical UW data.

rjchandler:
Me and my right wrist and my left wrist went diving and my right wrist ran out of time first. :54:

Case in point. :wink:

Marc

Back
Top Bottom