Suunto Transmitter Losing Signal Around Power Generator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubanoobi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi There,

I have an interesting problem with my Suunto Vyper Air and Transmitter and I'm trying to figure out if anybody else has seen something similar.

My signal from my transmitter to my computer will show "----" when I'm standing within 20ft of a massive power generator (not sure the technical term, big building with a gated generator the size of my living room and lots of wires and transformers). Why am I standing beside this? Well, it's right beside the entry point of a local dive site. As soon as I get outside that 20ft zone, it picks right back up and I get my signal back. I'm guessing some electrical currents are screwing with the signal.

It took me a while to figure out what was causing this (after changing the transmitter batter and putting my analog gauge back on).

Anybody else seen something similar? I'm guessing there aren't too many power generators in/near the water.

Thanks

Not a surprise. The EMF and RFI that close to a generator, would pretty much be overwhelming for a low powered wireless device. That's Mother Nature in action. Occasionally happens with big boat engines. Not a huge deal.

this also works underwater if your shooting strobes off rapidly with a camera rig its no big deal AS you still have your BACK UP SPG on the regulator set up

Transmitters, in order to work underwater, operate at extremely low frequency, far below that of consumer electronics. It's absolutely not surprising that a potential source of low frequency interference- probably a transformer station- would, well, interfere with reception. As you have seen, this interference is unlikely to penetrate far into the water.

Ron

this also works underwater if your shooting strobes off rapidly with a camera rig

I've tried to make this happen on numerous occasions with different computers, cameras and strobes. Cannot make it happen. I've asked the other photographers on liveaboards and none of them can confirm it either.

The only place I ever hear about this phenomenon is here on SB. The Gen 1 wireless computers may have been susceptible to this but at this point, I have been unable to find any conclusive data that supports this as an ongoing issue.

-Charles

There are many things that give off RF....Watched some one on a night dive have problems getting their computer to pair up just before a dive....It was the fluorescent light on the boat...They moved their gear over a few feet and the problem went away........

.It was the fluorescent light on the boat

Anything that "causes problems" out of the water is irrelevant.

I honestly believe that the reports of computers "losing signal" are grossly exaggerated. I have hundreds of dives on my Oceanic VT-3 and it's lost the signal a handful of times and all I had to do is move my arm and it reconnected. It was out for 3 or 4 seconds max. This is a non-issue.

-Charles

Anything that "causes problems" out of the water is irrelevant.

I honestly believe that the reports of computers "losing signal" are grossly exaggerated. I have hundreds of dives on my Oceanic VT-3 and it's lost the signal a handful of times and all I had to do is move my arm and it reconnected. It was out for 3 or 4 seconds max. This is a non-issue.

-Charles

I completely agree. Well stated.

My Galileo Sol with a new transmitter will briefly lose connection on some dives, and it can be unnerving, so I always have a backup analog SPG. It is weak point of the system and I've not been able to pinpoint a pattern but presumably there is some shadowing or interference with the signal.

, and it can be unnerving, so I always have a backup analog SPG.

OK, and if having a backup makes you feel better then by all means, go for it. But if the connection loss is brief and it always comes back... why worry? At some point don't you just say "Oh, ok, it dropped. Move my arm a bit. OK, it's back. Carry on."

The first couple of times mine dropped I would stop and stare at it until it reconnected. Now I just carry on and glance at it a few seconds later to make sure it comes back. Like I said, it's only done this maybe 6 or 7 times in ~400 dives and was only out for a few seconds each time. That isn't statistically significant.

-Charles

Back
Top Bottom