Suunto Software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One problem with it is that it doesn't run on the mac :-(

I was investigating the format some time ago to see if I could just use a spreadsheet with the information. I got some minor stuff going, but gave up...I'd rather spend my time doing other stuff. I think there was one other guy working on something who also gave up.

If anyone knows anything more, I'd be intersted also. The graphs are terrible in the Suunto software.

Braunbehrens once bubbled...
One problem with it is that it doesn't run on the mac :-(

FYI-
I too use a Macintosh, however, I'm running VirtualPC with Windoze98 to run the Suunto software. You'll also need a serial to USB adapter (I use the Keyspan PN: USA-19QW). I haven't had any trouble connecting or using the Dive Manager software. I do think the Suunto software is quite dated in it's capabilities and I too look forward to something better and/or something native to the Mac OS.

Thanks Miesemer...I was aware of that option, but have found it to be a bit spotty in it's operation. I run decoplanner that way.

For now I'm just running it on an old laptop with a messed up screen, and simpy control it over the network with my mac.

Have you been able to use the interface with the keyspan adapter under os X?

what are the exact complaints about the divemanager graphs? Maybe its just me, but they really only serve to show a graphical representation of the dive profile and they do just that. I set mine on 10 second sampling rate to improve the validity of the profile. I can't see the graphs getting much better without changing the dive computer itself. A larger disply of the graph would be nice. Like I said, a lot of people have problems with the software, but what exactly would you like to see changed and how? With my cobra, I can see all the info I can imagine having from any point in the dive. I can see exactly how deep I was, the temp, how much air I had used/had left, etc. 5, 7, 13 minutes into the dive and so on. If we tell the manufacturers what we want, maybe eventually we'll get it. One day we'll have GPS and a transducer on our dive computers so we can map out our exact profile with a superimposed display of the water around us. It'll be like a hopped up fish finder with our dive profile blended in. It'll pick up satelite radio and you can even watch dvds on it. Instead of a little hump on the dive profile when you swan over the wreck, there will be a sonar image of it and the fish around it. It'll most likely have to be nuclear powered... think that'll be user replaceable?
Anyway, I would really love to see a better application but I'm no software engineer so all I can do is hope. Until then, I'll be happy with what I have.

OK, it's free, so you won't catch me complaining. So, keeping that in mind, I suppose I'm satisfied with the application. But if I had to be nitpicky, the interface (the software, not your's Jamie!) does feel kind of clunky to me.

Rick

Wait a sec. I don't think it's free. I'm sure the money I paid for my computers had some bearing on that software, and I bought the SUUNTO stuff because you can download the profile.

As for what specifically is wrong...well, a lot.

Entering info is a pain, what and how it's displayed...the fact that it's pc sofware and feels like it (just kidding).

But most of all I'm unhappy with the graph. If you do a really deep dive, everything gets crunched and it's hard to see how well you were holding your stops.

It would be fairly simple to improve the graph, at least have an option to print just the graph on one whole page, nice and big. That would go a long way towards making me happy, that and support for the mac.

Have you been able to use the interface with the keyspan adapter under os X?

I've been using it with OS X (all versions up to 10.2.6) without a single glitch.

I've found that the Keyspan adapter (USA-19QW) makes a big difference in reliability. I've been through a handful of other serial to USB adapters and couldn't get any of the others to work reliably.

Wait a sec. I don't think it's free. I'm sure the money I paid for my computers had some bearing on that software, and I bought the SUUNTO stuff because you can download the profile.

Allow me to repeat myself: The software is free.

Nobody told you to buy a Suunto computer or interface. If you hadn't, you would still be able to go to Suunto.com and download the software without parting with a single red cent.

These are the facts of the case. And they are undisputed.
(credit to Kevin Bacon)

Back
Top Bottom