Suunto Software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree about the software being free. You don't have to buy a thing to get the software. The money you spend on a suunto computer is just that and worth every cent. The software isn't spectacular and I'm sure didn't cost them an arm and a leg to come up with. It is really a simple program to write I'm sure (simple for those that do it I mean). If part of your dive computer purchase went to pay for the software, trust me, it wouldn't be available to download for free. Sounds like someone has a PC chip on their shoulder to me. Entering info is as simple as typing it in... the only thing better would be if the software read your mind or if you could just tell it the info.

Lastly... the graphs will never be too exact considering they're not in real time. There should be an option to enlarge the graph. Have you contacted Suunto with your request? Thats the only way things get changed. They do update the software every once in a while. You could of course take the raw data and enter it into Excel (PC of course) and make your graph from there and be able to modify it. When I get back from the keys, i think I may try it out... of course it will involve a heck of a lot of entering info. If we really want the software to change, there are enough members on the board with the same opinions about the software to definately have an impact if would combine our efforts. Companies like suunto want to provide a product everyone wants and you have to admit they come pretty close to that with their computers. A little polishing of the software and they're unbeatable.

Definately folks should email them. They are very responsive.

I pointed out a bug in the gear bag feature and I got a new version emailed to me in two days from the developer!

I think (not sure) that it's a small operation - just one guy doing this software. So the number of fixes and new features is probably limited by his time. But unless he gets the feedback he won't know what to prioritize for the next release. So, send in your comments...

jamiei once bubbled...
I agree about the software being free. You don't have to buy a thing to get the software. The money you spend on a suunto computer is just that and worth every cent.

If part of your dive computer purchase went to pay for the software, trust me, it wouldn't be available to download for free. Sounds like someone has a PC chip on their shoulder to me.

What a charmingly naive way to see the world! You think the software wrote itself and no one paid for it?

Do you also feel that software updates are free, or part of the price you paid for the software? After all the download is free? Face it guys, the software is there to be used with the interface, if you bought an interface and a computer, you've paid for the software. Just because Suunto doesn't charge for it, doesn't mean it's free.

Driving down the street is free too, yet we all pay for it with various taxes. There is no free lunch.

As for SUUNTO computers being great, I thought so as well until my stinger malfunctioned twice, they refused to exchange it, and I talked to several other people who've had stingers malfunction. Now I have a very heavy, expensive and unreliable watch.

As for having a PC chip on my shoulder, you don't hear me complaining about decoplanner, which also only runs on the PC. My PC comments were meant jokingly...as I indicated in the post. Yes, I would prefer it to run on the Mac, but as long as the software is good I don't mind it running on the PC so much. There are 5 PC's and 4 Mac's in my house....

I also didn't say the software was awful, just that it could use some improvements. I don't like the way the data entry works, but I'm not a programmer, and I'm not sure how it would be improved.

I've already stated what I didn't like about the graph.

The software does have some nice features, to be sure, I don't want to give the impression that I think it doesn't.

Of course improving it costs money, I'm sure, and if it was a lot nicer we'd be paying more for our computers and interfaces. Oh wait, I forgot, it's free. Well, in that case there is no reason why it can't do everything we ask for and more...let's see, I'd like it to balance my checkbook, make coffee in the morning, and drive me to the dive site ;-)

First off I can say that I had a mosquito flood a month ago and Aqualung replaced it 0 question asked.

And SDM is a free download to anyone who wants to try it out. You can use the simulator and even log dives with profiles. Its not until you want to transfer dives from your suunto to SDM that it costs money in the form of a PC interface kit. And considering alot of people build them without giving a dime to Suunto some people should just shut up and stop whining.

Now back on topic, my complaint about SDM would be that the window sizing and scrolling controls don't work quiet right in W2K and XP.

Also it needs to be updated to support USB because pretty soon its going to be hard to find a PC with serial ports.

I think the $120 (from leisure pro) or more from the lds definately covers the cost of the interface and the software. I'm sure that their cost for each interface is quite low. Also, I'm sure that the guy that wrote the software has been well compensated (through interface sales) for his/her time writing it. To each his own. There are plenty of guys that write software of equal quality and don't ask for a dime for it. Why it so hard to believe that suunto does it? If we pay so much for the software, why do we not demand that it be exactly what we want? I made my own interface and didn't pay for the software. Suunto knows that the price of their interface is higher than the average person will pay and that there are other options available. They don't want that to be something that stops us from buying a suunto.

Braunbehrens once bubbled...

But most of all I'm unhappy with the graph. If you do a really deep dive, everything gets crunched and it's hard to see how well you were holding your stops.

Have you tried the zoom function on the graph? Left-click on the graph on the left edge of the area you want to zoom, press Shift and drag the bar across to the right edge. Release the mouse button and the graph will zoom in. You can then scroll left and right on the horizontal scrollbar, or by pressing the left and right arrow keys on your keyboard. To return to full view, click UnZoom.

Andrew

The cable should be included in the sale of the Computer. I would agree with most of the posts that the cost of the cable and the interface software is nominal. Including it would enhance Suunto's product, make for happier divers, and eliminate any discussion of the topic. Even my LDS owner is ashamed of the high cost of the cable. He loans me his while I wait to get mine from Jamie.

... my stinger malfunctioned twice, they refused to exchange it...
Braunbehrens, you need to contact Suunto directly. If you got a lemon, they'll take care of you.
Whoever you got the Stinger from just doesn't want to go through the trouble of mailing it back.

Sorry to dredge up an old post, but has anyone found any alternatives to SDM? Finding it a little quirky.

If anyones interested in writing their own software, the protocol is linked off here:

http://vyper.bunny.hu/e_index.html

One feature id like to see is the ability to export the profile depth v time figures as a CSV file so i can edit in excel or another spreadsheet. So far ive only found a dive summary export option.

The software is OK - not the easiest to use, has a few features and entries that im never likely to use (the Divemaster field for example) and others ive had to add manually.

The shortside is however it functions, it works and does what it says on the packet.

Its free download software so didnt cost me anything (i built the interface for £3) so i cant really complain

If anyone knows how to export graphs as .csv or to turn a dive printout (the page that you get if you print a dive) into a nice HTML file id like to know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom