Surface (TV Show)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

true, but she said she got preg at 21. the kid was maybe 8? so she's about 30 and has a doctorate that she said she paid for waitressing. she didn't mention loans or grants or scholarships, and had to pay day care. no big deal either way, sorry to be so nitpicky, but 'checkable' wrong or off stuff like this bothers me. kinda like when shows with people on cardiac monitors don't show a recognizable heart rhythm, or when they start mag on a pre-eclamptic in the er. believe me, you've never seen folks run so quickly as when a sick pregnant person hits the er - to get them out of there to l&d!

just like did you notice that she was going from 6k to 8k fsw rapidly, but the picture from outside of the sub showed her pretty much hovering over that deep vent? argh!

Well, though the show lacked LOTS in technical correctness, I enjoyed watching it. For one, it did bring up the point that more people have been to space than have gone down to the depths of our oceans. I will continue to watch it to see how the story evolves. I was picking through all the things previously mentioned, but hey, when did we expect Hollywood to produce ANYTHING remotely near reality? When "Into The Blue" comes out on the 30th, I imagine there will be people who come on here and complain about how rotten of a remake it is, being sure to point out all the flaws in that one as well. Maybe whe should consider moving this thread to the Whine & Cheese forum.

The line where they tell the guy on the boat that snorkeling on his honeymoon made him "an expert" and that he would do fine, did tic me off. Makes divers seem like crass and obnoxious jerks.

BabyDuck:
just like did you notice that she was going from 6k to 8k fsw rapidly, but the picture from outside of the sub showed her pretty much hovering over that deep vent? argh!

The depth gauge was measuring the vent as she hovered over it. That is why it started to go up as the "creatures" ascended the tube.

I found it entertaining for the drivel it was, tho I spent every commercial break explaining the discrepancies to my son. I expected it to be somewhat ridiculous (it is science FICTION after all) and inaccurate, and wasn't surprised. I stopped expecting (or even hoping) for accuracy on TV long ago.

thanks, erin, that makes better sense! so it was like a depth *finder* & not a depth *gauge*! good, it was getting kinda like 'land of the lost' there for a minute!

BabyDuck:
thanks, erin, that makes better sense! so it was like a depth *finder* & not a depth *gauge*! good, it was getting kinda like 'land of the lost' there for a minute!
We're crossing two different issues. The depth reading on the submarine was a depth finder over the crater. However, during the spearfishing excursion, when the "snorkeling expert" was being drug under, his brother tried following and reached a depth of 219 fsw, as annotated on his dive computer.

Well, I missed the fact that she was single with child, not married. In that case I'm hooked on the show... NOT! As for waittressing, a GF of mine (and the mother of my son) years ago was making $300+ per night waittressing in a pizza joint. I could easily have put myself through grad school on that, but I did it through my consulting business part-time.

The sub's gauge was at 5000' at one point, then it all of a sudden became a "depth TO bottom" gauge, instead of a depth gauge... That's some cool equipment.

And meanwhile they pulled another "Hollywood" and showed us the creature on the first episode. Anybody like the frogwhale?

I imagine the depth gauge to bottom (of the hole) was a sonar depth gauge. Like a depth finder.

On airplanes they have something similar called a radar altimeter that measures height above ground level instead of a regular altimeter, which measures height above sea level.

They kept refering to SONAR as RADAR in the show too. But, that's not going to keep me from watching it next week!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom