Surface (TV Show)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

markfm:
Have to start a letter-writing campaign to the networks to start rerunning a REAL diving show -- Sea Hunt! :)

I'm with you there man! Got 39 episodes on vhs. Shoulda went for the whole 155 but no funds for that now. "C'mon Bob clear those ears! C'mon! Pop 'em!" when they used the sub escape trunk for emergency decompression chamber. What a hoot! :D :D :D

When it comes to dive scenes, you have to suspend your disbelief. Not just this show, but any of them. You're just gonna be able to pick too many holes in them if you look for technical accuracy.

The show isn't about diving. It's about a sudden emergence of new critters under water. What diving & UW we get is simply background to the story.

Wayward Son:
When it comes to dive scenes, you have to suspend your disbelief. Not just this show, but any of them. You're just gonna be able to pick too many holes in them if you look for technical accuracy.

That is pretty much true for anything technical. Computer scenes crack me up sometimes (take Independence Day for instance, when they hook a laptop up to the alien spacecraft, puch a few keys, and are connected and able to send a virus to it on the first try). Most medical scenes are similarly bad, if you understand anything about medicine.

Around here, we call this "technobabble". It sounds good to the uneducated, but those with a little understanding of the subject know it is a bunch of bull.

Yeah this is it! I think he was some kind of exec with theshow. Maybe trying to get an endorsement or something from this board :dork:
drbill:
I'm wondering if this is the same "SCUBA show" that some producer mentioned on ScubaBoard earlier this year. At the time I said it sounded like the typical network TV bull****. It seems to have been (didn't keep my full attention as I watched it while editing the weekend's footage).

219 ft on a single tank. No problem. One of my buddies did just that two weeks ago. Of course I didn't go with him and the dive scared the hell out of him (extreme narcosis).

I could get "into" the female marine biologist if she weren't married with children.

I'll probably "watch" it again next week, but while I'm editing next weekend's video footage

We really deserve and need a GOOD show about diving (other than mine which only plays on Catalina Cable TV).

Yep. I like CSI, really do. However, when they deal with subjects that I happen to know a lot about I catch them just making crap up. Say, most everything they do regarding firearms.

I actually enjoyed the show, as cheesy as the technical correctness of it was. Why? Because it's something new & different for a change. I'm sick of remakes. Recent years, most new movies have either been a big screen redo of a TV show, or a remake of a movie that's already been done at least once, maybe more times.

So now we get a show that is not another crime drama, not another medical gizmo like ER, Chicago Hope & such. It's not a 4th spinoff of CSI. It's not the stretching of some reality show to be another reality show. It's not a retread sitcom.

It isn't even science fiction, it's fantasy. The story isn't in the diving, nor the sub, nor the depth gauge/depth finder/radar/sonar :D & such. The story is about the emergence of these critters & what that means & what happens. It has potential to be fun. But not if you get so wrapped up with what's worng with the things you know about that you focus on details & fail to simply enjoy the story being told.

Wayward Son:
Yep. I like CSI, really do. However, when they deal with subjects that I happen to know a lot about I catch them just making crap up. Say, most everything they do regarding firearms.

I actually enjoyed the show, as cheesy as the technical correctness of it was. Why? Because it's something new & different for a change. I'm sick of remakes. Recent years, most new movies have either been a big screen redo of a TV show, or a remake of a movie that's already been done at least once, maybe more times.

So now we get a show that is not another crime drama, not another medical gizmo like ER, Chicago Hope & such. It's not a 4th spinoff of CSI. It's not the stretching of some reality show to be another reality show. It's not a retread sitcom.

It isn't even science fiction, it's fantasy. The story isn't in the diving, nor the sub, nor the depth gauge/depth finder/radar/sonar :D & such. The story is about the emergence of these critters & what that means & what happens. It has potential to be fun. But not if you get so wrapped up with what's worng with the things you know about that you focus on details & fail to simply enjoy the story being told.
Well said!!! I enjoyed the show myself for the story and not the flaws in the details. Well said, Wayward!!!

I agree with wayward. And my son is looking forward to next weeks episode already from the teaser at the end.

Firebrand:
However, during the spearfishing excursion, when the "snorkeling expert" was being drug under, his brother tried following and reached a depth of 219 fsw, as annotated on his dive computer.
I don't have a problem with that.

If he was the sort of diver who planned a deep spearfishing dive with an uncertified one-time snorkeler according to the number of beers the captain was going to drink before they surfaced, I don't find it hard to believe either that he wouldn't have had the presence of mind to cut the line or tether on the speargun after his buddy shot the monster and it was dragging him, or that he would have persued the descending newbie until he was good and narced, and not realized until too late that he was way too deep to be able to return safely given his air supply.

Wayward Son:

I always love the magical F8 key on the keyboard. I think it can do everything. Shows like CSI and 24 are great at using it. For example, the most prevalent use is for cleaning up images.

1) You start off with a low-resolution image where nothing is identifiable
2) Press F8
3) Out comes that high-resolution image that identifies all the perps.

I love TV.

- ChillyWaters

Well he did TRY to cut the line... but really slowly (dramatic effect). I thought the guy's tank being ripped off him as he was pulled thru the rig was quite interesting...

Still, I enjoyed it for the novelty of it not being a crime show or "reality" (yeah right) TV... I miss the X Files... :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom