Surf-wetsuit suitable for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Geniuz

Reaction score
The dives I've made sofar have always been with rented equipment because I don't own my own equipment. This to diving in warm water conditions (yes I'm kinda a Warm Water Whimp).

Next year (winter is coming up) I want to start diving here in the Netherlands. The water temperature varies around 15 degrees Celsius (around 59 degrees Fahrenheit).

Actually I do own two wetsuits (one shorty comparable with: http://www.neilprydewaterwear.com/e...ail.php?ID=31&sectionID=46&series=3000&page=7 and one full body comparable with: http://www.pro-limit.com/displayitemv2.php?item_id=1277) but I use those for Jetskiing during the year.

Are those wetsuits by any chance usable for scuba diving? And if not, could someone explain me the difference between the two. Or should I buy seperate wetsuits for scuba diving?

Greetz!

Sjoerd

For 15C diving you'll need at least a 7mm semi-dry if not a dry-suit.
I don't dive in less than 20C with a 5mm wetsuit.
The basic difference between scuba wetsuits and surfing wetsuits is the density of the neoprene which means you get more of a thickness change as you descend. The surfing wetsuit will be less effective at depth as it becomes thinner.
However I do have a 3mm for warm water tropical diving which is for surfing but works fine for this type of diving 25C+.

Geniuz:
The dives I've made sofar have always been with rented equipment because I don't own my own equipment. This to diving in warm water conditions (yes I'm kinda a Warm Water Whimp).

Next year (winter is coming up) I want to start diving here in the Netherlands. The water temperature varies around 15 degrees Celsius (around 59 degrees Fahrenheit).

Actually I do own two wetsuits (one shorty comparable with: http://www.neilprydewaterwear.com/e...ail.php?ID=31&sectionID=46&series=3000&page=7 and one full body comparable with: http://www.pro-limit.com/displayitemv2.php?item_id=1277) but I use those for Jetskiing during the year.

Are those wetsuits by any chance usable for scuba diving? And if not, could someone explain me the difference between the two. Or should I buy seperate wetsuits for scuba diving?

Greetz!

Sjoerd
I'm not familiar with the brand of suits you mentioned, but I don't think you want to use them for diving. Suits made for surface sports are made for different specs. They often use a neoprene that once crushed (as it gets at depth) doesn't bounce back. Call the manufacturer and get their word on it to be sure.
C-Dawg

Thanks for the info guys.

I'll contact the manufacturers of the wetsuits but probably I need to buy two new ones. Any advices for the Netherlands (it's not the tropics here) which thickness to buy?

Greetz!

Sjoerd

Concerning exposure suits I dive in New Jersey, where bottom temps are usually around 55-65F in the summer. I dive a 7/6/5 that I bought for $300 from xcell ( I believe they were into surfing style suits and this is their first venture into diving ). On my last dive offshore the bottom temp was around 58F and I was only moderately chilly (also had 7 mm mits and a 5 mm hood on too), I've also got a fair amount of natural insulation. I guess bottom line is when your purchasing a wetsuit make sure you look at the R factor on the suit, which is a measure of how warm you are. If, however, you plan to do a lot of diving in colder water I would say the hell with the wetsuit and invest in a drysuit. You'll be loads more comfortable and the extra investment is worth it.

Hope this helps

I surf as well and live in the cold north east (maine) and have both a 3/2 for summer and a 5 I use during the winter. The 5 is a neck entry with hood. I'm fairly new to diving and have been using the 5 so far though I just bought a drysuit which I'll learning how to use soon.

The 5 worked fine in temps to about 50+ degrees at about 40 feet of depth. I bought a little 7.5 scuba shortie to wear over it for whenever I need it.

My surf suit is good quality though I don't know whether it is a type neoprene that resists the crushing action that will destroy the air pockets in the neoprene. But I haven't been too worried about it.

In my opinion go ahead and use your surf suit with plans to get something else in the future.

The only thing bad that can happen is you get cold or you damage your suit. I figure those are ok as long as you realize the 5 isn't a permanent solution

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom