Supporting your LDS exclusively?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with Wookie here, apparently you don't get out very much.... :)

I've literally have been told the following things by certain of my LDSs:

1) I don't buy/spend enough $ at their shop
2) To stay the h*ll away from the shop's other divers after I accidentally mentioned Scubatoys to a diver and the LDS owner overheard me
3) been removed from the mailing/e-mail lists of said dive shop

...so, while the words 'you're banned from my shop' weren't spoken, it was clearly a defacto ban, and one would have to be pretty clueless to interpret those actions otherwise!

We have four local dive shops in our area and I have visited all four and bought from all four. They know I do business at all four from time to time and I never get anything less than a smile when I walk in and a handshake. I know business is tough for these guys but even when things were booming their attitude has always been the same, they were glad to get whatever business I gave them.

That's why I found it hard to believe that an owner of a shop would say, "Do business with me or don't come back". And I very well may be right because the OP did say it wasn't the owner who said that but a salesman/instructor and the two are definitely not the same. The OP did say he was going to talk with the owner to get his view of things so perhaps he will report back soon to tell us what the owners views are.

But I probably do need to get out more. :D

I left my original LDS, even while I still very much liked them, because a nearby shop had an all-you-can-eat Nitrox plan.

Could you please tell me more about this?

I still find it hard to believe that we have to have such an active post for this topic. The stores I purchase from must EARN my business. That's it. I am willing to pay a little extra for service. I try to support my LDS. I have spent a couple of thousand dollars there in just a couple of months. I have also spent over a thousand online. My LDS told me that to take my OW class I had to have a mask, fins and snorkel. There was no requirement to purchase from them. I have given my LDS the first shot at my business a couple of times when I found what I wanted online. They told me both times that contractually they could not get close to the online price. I will continue to support my LDS but, I cannot state that I will do this exclusively. My LDS has great people working there and they have helped me more than I can say. Just today I got an email telling me that they had a used tank in the color I was looking for. I love them.

BTW.....the discussion about servicing items not purchased from the LDS amazes me. Using the thought process talked about earlier it would stand to reason that if I bought a used car from my friend at work the local Chevrolet dealer would refuse to do an oil change. When a LDS performs a service on a regulator they are charging for labor and parts. Any business in this economy that refuses a chance to charge for work probably won't last too long. Again, this goes back to poor business models.

The car analogy really hit with me :) I run a car dealership and support my LDS!

When I got my OW last year they were very helpful in gear selection and offered all different price ranges within the brands that they carried so I didn't feel that I was being pushed into too much gear too soon. They were more than happy to rent to me for as long as I wanted I'm sure.

They did a great job of informing me of the benefits that they provide for gear that is purchased from them. Namely parts kits for services at no charge for warranted gear, and service at a reduced charge. They also said they would be happy to service the gear I purchased elsewhere and informed of what the pricing differences were.

In the end I couldn't put the same gear package together online at a price that was more than $150 better on about $1200 worth of gear! I upsold me, not them. The $700 package was available as well :) They've been great!

I'm glad I hit a good one first try! I live in NE Ohio and as such my LDS is actually almost an hour away :) The rest are farther...

We have four local dive shops in our area and I have visited all four and bought from all four. They know I do business at all four from time to time and I never get anything less than a smile when I walk in and a handshake. I know business is tough for these guys but even when things were booming their attitude has always been the same, they were glad to get whatever business I gave them.

That's why I found it hard to believe that an owner of a shop would say, "Do business with me or don't come back". And I very well may be right because the OP did say it wasn't the owner who said that but a salesman/instructor and the two are definitely not the same. The OP did say he was going to talk with the owner to get his view of things so perhaps he will report back soon to tell us what the owners views are.

But I probably do need to get out more. :D

...well, in my case, it WAS the OWNER, who publically took me aside, in the middle of a pool/class ---scuba refresher session, and took me to the woodshed, and said those 2 things to me ! Needless to say, we've not seen/spoken to each other since that day....this April will be the 1st year anniversary of our 'divorce'.

As we all know scuba diving is an expensive sport... As a result I shop the internet and several of the LDS for the best deals on equipment. When the LDS I went to to get ceritified found out I had shopped elsewhere besides his shop he flipped out and said if I don't exclusively purchase from him he is either going to double my class rates or ban me from his shop. Has anyone else ran into this? How do you feel about shopping elsewhere besides your LDS?

I like the fact that he just lost your business!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom