Supporting your LDS exclusively?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

he flipped out and said if I don't exclusively purchase from him he is either going to double my class rates or ban me from his shop.

Tell him you have banned his shop from your wallet!

No shop is "entitled" to your business - they need to EARN it.

I don't shop at my LDS exclusively to "support" them. I shop at my LDS exclusively because THEY support me... with great service, great selection, great demo practices, great training, and prices that I consider to be fair relative to the value I receive in exchange for my money. Can I find the same items cheaper somewhere else? Sure, but not with the same level of support I also receive from my LDS.

If you have a good LDS, give them all of your money. If you don't, vote with your dollars and go elsewhere. They'll either figure out their strong arm tactics aren't working or they'll exit the market.

Now, the definition of "good LDS" is up to each person as an individual. I was trained at an incredible LDS, it's rare that I find one in my travels that comes close. I happily spent more there than I could elsewhere because the knowledge, service, quality of training and incredibly trips were all there. I've since moved and have a very hard time finding that quality nearby, so (regardless of my employment) I would buy online.

Since you are SSI trained and the closest SSI shop to Hiram is The Dive Shop, your scuba professionals offering superior education, travel and equipment. I'm guessing this is your shop.

It is unfair to guess. Others could now avoid this shop purely on the basis of your speculation; instead, we should ask the OP to name the shop.

I actually am willing to pay a little more to support my LDS, but if the owner ever gave me an attitude like that it'd be the last time he saw me. I'd say take your business elsewhere.

Now to be completely clear, when I signed up for my OW course the LDS was clear that the course was $X + the purchase of fins, mask, and snorkel at the shop, and they had packages of said gear they could recommend. If I'd shown up with that equipment, I would understand a scenario like you describe, because he was all up front and I had no issue with it. If later when I was buying my computer he'd insisted I deal there I would have had an issue. (As it turns out, I bought the computer locally too; they offered the same price as online and tried to dissuade me and convince me a cheaper computer would do ... though as a mares dealer I do find him a little biased towards mares products which have obviously served him very well over the years.)

Osric

It is unfair to guess. Others could now avoid this shop purely on the basis of your speculation; instead, we should ask the OP to name the shop.

Unfair!!! I explained my logic. You can agree or disagree. The OP or the shop can correct my error if I have made one and turn this into a positive post for The Dive Shop. You are free to infer whatever you would like if there is no correction.

One route to the truth is to state something in error and consider the corrections.

I would love to find out who the LDS is and what they had to say. To be perfectly honest, I just find it hard to believe that the owner of a dive shop would actually tell any customer that if they didn't buy just from them they would be banned from the shop and they would double the costs of classes. Just doesn't add up.

I would love to find out who the LDS is and what they had to say. To be perfectly honest, I just find it hard to believe that the owner of a dive shop would actually tell any customer that if they didn't buy just from them they would be banned from the shop and they would double the costs of classes. Just doesn't add up.

I don't mean to be snarky, but you haven't been around. This actually became a somewhat popular business model with the rise in internet sales. Dive shops became frustrated because they were using training as a loss leader to get students in the door to buy gear. Trouble was students would show up with uncle Harry's old turtle fins, aunt Mabel's purge mask, and 4 rocks dangling off of a piece of rope for weights. The instructor has to deal with lots of different systems and teach many methods rather than cookbooking an open water class. Remember, many instructors are those keen divers with 100 dives and a 10 day $1,000 class under their belts. and 84 of those dives are in a quarry somewhere. They have little real world experience, and none with gear their shop doesn't sell.

I'm going to say around 2003 or 2004 either PADI or SSI told their shop owners that they would sell more gear if they required the students to buy it in house. I have good friends that own one shop that charge $1150 for an open water class. There is nothing more to buy, ever. You may have your pick of the mask, snork, and fins, weights (soft or hard), belt, bag, academic materials, and mouthpiece. Rentals are included as are pool and open water fees. It's very popular with the country club crowd, which is where they do their pool work. Another shop in the same town charges $99 for the open water course, then requires you to buy all of the above at MARP. They raise the tuition fee for the class by the average amount that say, fins cost if the student want's to use Uncle Harry's old turtle fins. Both shops are successful.

I am a believer in method 1. Many are not. I run my boat that way. When you come on board for a sport diving trip, there is nothing more to buy. I include your nitrox, tank rental, weights, beer, wine, food, soda, and I even pay my crew a living wage so you aren't forced to. (They still like their tips, but don't rely on them). My partners in Texas like method 2. Your ride to the dive site doesn't include nitrox, or beer/wine/soda, or (in some cases) a paid crew. If you don't drink beer or breath nitrox, you'll save 50 bucks by diving on my partners boat. It's all in what experience you want.

Sorry for the mini hijack, but the point is that there are many dive shops out there that cut tuition to get you in the door to buy gear.

Still doesn't add up. In today's economy and with many dive shops having hard times, I can't see a dive shop owner saying, "If you don't buy your gear from me, you can't come back to my shop." This shop would have folded long ago.

But let's hope that the OP will name the shop and then the shop can respond so we get to hear both sides of the story. If it did happen just like it has been described, then there is no reason not to say who the shop is.

It may not make sense, at least to a reasonable person, but I'll give you phone numbers to 2 shops that will tell you exactly that, one an SSI and one a PADI. They won't tell you that you are banned, but they'll tell you you must buy basic gear from them to take a class. When you come to class the first night while everyone is getting fitted, and you have your own gear purchased elsewhere, they'll raise their voice and scream at you and tell you if you don't buy their gear you won't be allowed back.

Dive shops aren't run by business people in many cases, they are run by people who want your business, and they'll scream at you to get it. :)

It isn't just the shops and a few bad owners. The mentality goes higher. An AL dealer that I know told me about his distributor encouraging him to refuse to service gear that was not purchased from an authorized dealer. Thankfully he is a better businessman and dive shop owner than that. And then there are the price protection policies and the annual service requirements to maintain warranties. I put them all in the same category of dirty and deceptive business practices that should not go unrewarded by unhappy customers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom