Sunken Aircraft in SF Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cn9174

Reaction score
Have any divers in the SF Bay area ever found a single engine aircraft in San Francisco Bay off Fort Mason? I ask this because my father ditched one in that area after taking off from Chrissy Field, in Presideo in 1952 (at least I think that's when it was).

He was flying an Army Navion when his engine quit due to contaminated fuel and he was picked up by a Coast Guard cutter. The aircraft sank and divers were unable to locate it. They said that it went out with the tide, but who knows.

I'd be interested to hear anyone's thoughts about this.

Curt Newport

That's a low vis, heavy boat traffic area - I doubt if anyone dives it. Last time divers were seen in the area (it's close to Pier 39, large tourist attraction as you probably know), the Coast Guard and police were called to catch the "possible terrorists". I don't know how strong the tides are there, but it is close to Alcatraz, which supposedly gets some ripping currents going by with the tide changes.

Was it one of these?

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/annex/an29.htm

Yep, that looks like it, though it was probably painted in Army colors. Fortunately, dad got out of the thing OK before it sank.

Given what I know about the bay, it's probably a pretty nasty area to try and dive in. However, it might be worthwhile to tow a side-scan through the area if someone has nothing better to do.

C. Newport

Back
Top Bottom