Suits and BP/W for Wreck Valley

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suggest Oxycheq 45# wing for singles or Halcyon 36# wing for your given situation. You won't be able to use either of these wings for doubles. For doubles get Oxycheq 50# or Halcyon 55#. Forget about OMS. you can just get OMS backplate wuithout harness if you want, but it might not make much sense since their crotch strap sucks. If I had to do it all over again, I would have gotten Halcyon plate and harness to begin with and compliment it with an Oxycheq wing (cheaper than Halcyon), however, be sure to specify a shorter hose on Oxycheq when you order it; if you go with Halcyon, you can't go wrong there, but it's a bit more pricey cuz you're paying for the name.

Marcos:
Hello fellow wreck divers,

I'm looking to upgrade by BC system from my crappy jacket style BC to a good BP/Wing setup. I've gone back and forth through them all, Dive Rite, Halcyon, OMS, Oxycheq, etc. I'm lost. I dive on the NJ wrecks with a steel 120 and a 30 cu. ft. pony bottle. I'm a recreational diver, but do have technical aspirations down the road. I would like to take the same BP/Wing set up with me when I go down the islands, but it doesn't seem like I'll be able to get a setup that is ideal for both scenerios. One dive shop carries Dive Rite and has a good deal on the Trek Wing 40lbs of lift with a BP and harness. My other dive shop carries OMS and says I would be able to use it for doubles, but it's much more expensive. Any advice? I want to get something soon so I can get it tuned in for this season. I'm still diving wet, but will have a dry suit by next year for sure, when I have the $. Please help thanks.

I am in the exact same boat as you. I have been looking everywhere for a good BP/Wing setup. I'll tell you what I narrowed my results to. I am either going to get the Halcyon BP/Harness with their 40# Eclipse Wing (which I heard a lot of good things about). Or I am going to get the DR BP/Harness with their Venture Wing. I am leaning more towards the Halcyon setup. The Halcyon wings now come with SS inflator buttons. And a lot of people are saying that the Eclipse wings are really streamlined and dont produce much drag. I have even heard people say the 30# and 40# lifts are equal in drag. I just recently broke a cam buckle in the cold water so from now on its SS cam buckles for me. Take it FWIW. Good luck with your purchase. Let me know how you make out.

Gerard

gerardnealon:
I just recently broke a cam buckle in the cold water so from now on its SS cam buckles for me. Take it FWIW. Good luck with your purchase. Let me know how you make out.

Gerard

Yes, I agree - Halcyon octo-Grip cam belts and their SS buckles are a must. The best thing on the market right now as of today.

VTernovski:
Yes, I agree - Halcyon octo-Grip cam belts and their SS buckles are a must. The best thing on the market right now as of today.

I wish I had them on my last dive. Where do you go for your Halcyon gear? I need a nice cheap place to purchase from. I heard of http://www.extreme-exposure.com/ but they seemed a little high. It could just be because Halcyon is high in general.

gerardnealon:
I wish I had them on my last dive. Where do you go for your Halcyon gear? I need a nice cheap place to purchase from. I heard of http://www.extreme-exposure.com/ but they seemed a little high. It could just be because Halcyon is high in general.

Halcyon has fixed pricing (they call it fair pricing policy), so pretty much any shops will quote you the same price as EE. Some shops, do, however discount them regardless, and sometimes you may get a good deal. Just get a dealer list from Halcyon.net and call around asking for various prices. Remember that your can usually order over a phone and get a better price rather than expect them to put the discount on the web, which, theoretically, they are not allowed to do.

Also.. eBay is also an option. Backplate is a backplate... it won't ever break, so it really doesn't matter where you buy it, unless you are in to "Support your local dive shop" horsecrap.

VTernovski:
Also.. eBay is also an option. Backplate is a backplate... it won't ever break, so it really doesn't matter where you buy it, unless you are in to "Support your local dive shop" horsecrap.

:crafty: I would rather support my wallet!! :wink:

I was probably one of the first people to own the Eclipse. I got the 30# back in the begining of November. The UPS truck was still parked outside when I picked it up and I had people tell me EE didn't even have them in when I bought mine.

Good thing, if I was there just a little earlier I probably would have bought something else.
The Eclipes kicks A$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!

Also like VT said, you will need 2 wings if you're diving doubles and singles.

I knew I would get great info from the NJ wreck diving crowd. That Halcyon Eclipse set up is very nice. Going the extra mile with $ is ok with such an investment too. I should have it for a long time. Now I"m wondering if I would be best off with a 30# or 40# Eclipse wing. I'm thinking 40# because I dive with a 26lb weight belt with my 7mm farmer john and by next year I'll be diving a dry suit with a lot of lead as well. Plus I do dive with a steel 120 + 30 cu. ft. pony bottle. Would I be able to take this same BC down the islands as well and dive with a 3mm + 80 AL? I really appreciate your advice guys, thanks a lot.

Marcos:
I knew I would get great info from the NJ wreck diving crowd. That Halcyon Eclipse set up is very nice. Going the extra mile with $ is ok with such an investment too. I should have it for a long time. Now I"m wondering if I would be best off with a 30# or 40# Eclipse wing. I'm thinking 40# because I dive with a 26lb weight belt with my 7mm farmer john and by next year I'll be diving a dry suit with a lot of lead as well. Plus I do dive with a steel 120 + 30 cu. ft. pony bottle. Would I be able to take this same BC down the islands as well and dive with a 3mm + 80 AL? I really appreciate your advice guys, thanks a lot.

You should be fine in the Caribbean with your wing. Of course, 27# Pioneer wing would have been better for the islands, but you'll be fine with your 40#, it's not much of a drag.

in reality, after you move to your dry suit, and will actually want to get a 2nd back plate, (probably aluminum?) and a smaller wing setup just for your 3mm suit. It's a little bit of pain in the ass to re-adjust your harness from one setup to another.

Back
Top Bottom