Suits and BP/W for Wreck Valley

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marcos

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello fellow wreck divers. I dove all last summer on the NJ wrecks in my 7mm farmer john and I want to get myself a good dry suit. I'd love to hear what you guys would recommend considering you do the same type of diving. I am still a recreational diver, but do have technical aspirations sometime down the road. I'd like to hear what the regular crowd uses for a dry suit for NJ wreck diving so I can make a sound purchase this spring and get myself out there diving as soon as posible. Thanks for you help.

Marcos:
Hello fellow wreck divers. I dove all last summer on the NJ wrecks in my 7mm farmer john and I want to get myself a good dry suit. I'd love to hear what you guys would recommend considering you do the same type of diving. I am still a recreational diver, but do have technical aspirations sometime down the road. I'd like to hear what the regular crowd uses for a dry suit for NJ wreck diving so I can make a sound purchase this spring and get myself out there diving as soon as posible. Thanks for you help.

I have personally got Oceanic suit mainly cuz of the price and fit issues. They had custom sized boots and Tall sizes, which fit me perfectly without getting a whole new custom suit. But... now I realize that my suit has a major drawbacks and that's the boots - The attached rubber boots are way oversized in the ankles (the boots look exactly like something you would go clean the Russian army barracks toilets), and the foot "wiggles" around, not to mention the rubber is very thick and is not easily (or comfortably) compresses around your ankle. I do sometimes get cramps in the sole of my foot from the fact that the heel often lifts up and wiggles around (yes, even when frog kicking). You can't use gaitors with them. They also barelly fit my Jets (XL). I am size 11.

I am planing on sending my suit to DUI to get those boots removed and replaced with their Turbo Soles. This should help with the Jet fins XL fit too.

If I had to do all over agian, I would probably get the DUI TLS350, but once you add up all the costs it makes it about 3 times more than what I paid for my Oceanic.

My boots aren't too bad, but I'll probably wind up chopping them of eventually and getting rock boots.

Why can't you use gaitors, with that suit?

Marcos:
I got a Diving Concepts DuraFlex Tec suit last year. I got it custome fit because the price wasn't that much more. So far I really like the suit, it fits well, very durable (cordura covered) and the price was pretty good.

yeah? everyone I've talked to who has the rock boots love them!

VTernovski:
don't get rock boots - it's garbage.
I'll show you on Saturday.
Everyone I know that has Rock Boots myself included will never go back..
People who do alot of shore diving this is especially true.. you can walk on just about anything without a problem..
when you buy them make sure you get the proper size (using heavy thermal insulation at least 1/2 size larger than your foot), you probably will need a larger set of fins than what you normally use..

Use thisulate booties inside you drysuit and you should never have any problems with fit or cold toes.. (DUI usually assumes you are going to use some type of undergarment bootie (thinsulate or heavy polartech, normal socks (even thermals)will probably leave too much space for most people in the rock boot/drysuit)

As with everything else, there are those who love them and those who hate them.
I didn't think I was going to like the rock boots but after one season, I have not had any problem with them. (although I could possably use one size larger, if they made them any bigger)
I have a XXL stock CF200 rear shoulder entry. I use SP Twin Jet fins (XL) and the pocket on fin is just right for the big boot.

Hello fellow wreck divers,

I'm looking to upgrade by BC system from my crappy jacket style BC to a good BP/Wing setup. I've gone back and forth through them all, Dive Rite, Halcyon, OMS, Oxycheq, etc. I'm lost. I dive on the NJ wrecks with a steel 120 and a 30 cu. ft. pony bottle. I'm a recreational diver, but do have technical aspirations down the road. I would like to take the same BP/Wing set up with me when I go down the islands, but it doesn't seem like I'll be able to get a setup that is ideal for both scenerios. One dive shop carries Dive Rite and has a good deal on the Trek Wing 40lbs of lift with a BP and harness. My other dive shop carries OMS and says I would be able to use it for doubles, but it's much more expensive. Any advice? I want to get something soon so I can get it tuned in for this season. I'm still diving wet, but will have a dry suit by next year for sure, when I have the $. Please help thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom