Need help getting started w local diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello!

I’m a born and raised New Yorker currently living in LIC, and I’m interested in taking advantage of what NJ/NY has to offer, however I don’t know where to begin for what I’m looking for.

I’m an experienced diver (20 years, about 400 dives, TDI extended range certified as of last year) and have dove for checkout dives in NY before (got certified by capt mike). I’m interested in doing year-round recreational and technical diving (every other weekend), especially technical wreck dives eventually.

Specifically, I need help on how I can get started. I already built out my DIR kits for both tec and Rec diving, however I never used a dry suit before. Is my first order of business buying a dry suit and getting certified? Can you recommend where I can go to find companies that do group boat dives, for both technical (air up to 180f) and recreational? I don’t know any divers here locally so I’d have to join a group.

I’d also like to get my advanced wreck cert, any recommendations on stellar tech diving instructors in the area?

Thanks.

For year-round NY/NJ diving a drysuit will make a huge difference, and it's actually a pretty short course to take which has side benefit of introducing you to a few potential local dive buddies.
If you are not lucky enough to be a stock size and you're serious about year round diving in New England I would highly recommend a made to measure drysuit (There are a number of good brands, it's nice to find a locally supported brand that will have a replacement seal available off the shelf, and proper fit matters more than the brand chosen, ideally get by with a rental suit for a drysuit course and then you'll be able to make a more informed purchase decision... My personal choice is a DUI drysuit with rockboots and light monkey P-valve combined with 4th Element underlayers).

Definitely want a drysuit for these parts. I also have a custom DUI with valve etc. Well worth it if you plan to do a lot of north Atlantic diving.

Finding buddies. Check FB. Here in the New England area we have several FB groups for finding people to dive with.

You might want to check out Big Apple Divers. They have a very active local dive schedule and other events. I plan to take my dry suit course this spring and start diving with them this year.

This is definitely drysuit territory. I'm patiently awaiting the arrival of my Seaskin suit. There is some good wreck diving off the NJ coast. This will be my first diving season in the area so looking forward to that. NC has some good wrecks also. I did a bit of that when I lived there years ago. Seems to be quite a few forum members in the NY, NJ, PA and MD areas. I'm in DE but just a short ferry hop to Cape May. We should plan some group dives this summer.

Definitely need a drysuit up here. Me and my wife live in NYC and dive locally primarily. We have been diving for a year and have around 100 dives and are TDI tech certified. Our favorite dive spots are pretty long drives away (Lake Champlain in VT, Lake Winnipesauke in New Hampshire, Willow Springs in PA, Cape Ann in MA). No kids and jobs that allow us to work remote allow us to travel and dive frequently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom