Suicide Clips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:spaninq:

Wow. I didn't think that this question would end up in a flame war...

Let me rephrase my question.

Why would someone choose to use to a gated clip over a bolt clip given the risk (albeit minimal) in the first place? Is this a nimbleness or dexterity issue? Is the gated clip so much easier to use? Are the risks of line-snagging so low? I saw what can happen with these clips so I know that the danger is real. I'm amazed that people are so passionate about a simple clip. My logic was that bolt clips are as easy to use and don't involve any more risk than is necessary.

It appears as if the arguments offered FOR the use of this clip seem to come from the machismo "I've been diving for x number of years so don't tell me what to do" school of divers. And no more Ormsby please.

I guess that I may be to blame. Didn't think a simple little question would get out of hand. I do intend to read the book now.

Personally, I've used the bronze snap hooks for years mainly because they were soooo easy to just clip something off. The downside has been that I've snagged countless pieces of fishing line and other things. So far I've always been able to just reach over and unclip whatever I was hung up on. I will admit that they've been a major pain for snagging just about everything. So, for just personal reasons most of my gear now has those bolt clips. However, I do believe that like all tools, they have their places.

tridacna:
Let me rephrase my question.

Why would someone choose to use to a gated clip over a bolt clip given the risk (albeit minimal) in the first place?

They are easier to use.

pengwe:
They are easier to use.

Exactly. They ARE easier to use for those unwilling to take the little time needed to develop the skills to use bolt snaps. For many, laziness is more important than the added safety.

A recurring theme on many issues.

Rainer:
easier to use for those unwilling to take the little time needed to develop the skills

Rainer:
Exactly. They ARE easier to use for those unwilling to take the little time needed to develop the skills to use bolt snaps. For many, laziness is more important than the added safety.

Develop the SKILLS to use bolt snaps? Please. Did you have to develop these skills? Maybe now I better understand how something as simple as the clips one chooses can be so inflamable. Lazy.

For some it's not hard. For others, they need a short cut.

Zieg:
Develop the SKILLS to use bolt snaps? Please. Did you have to develop these skills? Maybe now I better understand how something as simple as the clips one chooses can be so inflamable. Lazy.

Zieg:

If it's not skills, why do some people think gate clips are easier? I don't now that I've practiced with bolt snaps in my dry gloves (I'll go out on a limb and assume you aren't diving in waters in the 30s for much of the year). Withour said practice, I, too would find gate clips easier. For me, just not worth the risk given how little work was needed to get comfortable with bolt snaps. For those too lazy, they won't bother. That really doesn't bother me. Just not my style. Good luck with your own choice either way.

pengwe:
They are easier to use.

Preamble: This is not meant to be inflammatory. (Tone on these forums is hard to "see".)

Anyone who cannot perform the simple action of opening a bolt clip IMHO should not be diving at all. With or without gloves. And yes, I've dived dry in really cold water in NJ with gloves many many times, so no lectures about dexterity with gloves. I've never had a problem hooking a bolt clip to a D ring. If you have a real problem here, get a bigger bolt clip or start playing golf.

"Easier" in this case should not be a substitute for safer. If they both do the same job and one is safer, then I would go with safer every time.

tridacna:
. I've never had a problem hooking a bolt clip to a D ring. If you have a real problem here, get a bigger bolt clip or start playing golf.

"

Thumbs up for getting bigger clips in cold water (heck you need the weight anyway)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom