Suicide Clips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tridacna

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
When I started diving NJ wrecks, I was always warned off using a carabineer or "suicide clip" on your D-clips. The theory was that these things are an entanglement hazard. Fishing line or thin rope tends to slip in and becomes a serious problem. We were told to use bras bolt clips instead. They require actual effort to open so are less prone to line slipping in.

I am surprised that so many dive stores offer these (in different variants). Attached is a picture. Anyone actually use these when diving? Anyone hear or see any problems with these?

Attachments

• suicide clip.jpg
    suicide clip.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 1,177
Also, brass bolt clips and snap shackles tend not to corrode as fast at an aluminum carabineer will.

Gate clip is the name of what you are calling suicide clips. Mountaineers call the oval version of them caribiners, yes.

Bolt snap is the name of their opposites.

I doubt that anyone on this earth or in the seas has ever become entangled because of a gate clip, folklore and urban legend aside. But if you want to look good in your dive gear, try not to have any gate clips on it anywhere. The legend is powerful. And also avoid brass, too.

nereas:
Gate clip is the name of what you are calling suicide clips. Mountaineers call the oval version of them caribiners, yes.

Bolt snap is the name of their opposites.

I doubt that anyone on this earth or in the seas has ever become entangled because of a gate clip, folklore and urban legend aside...

Hate to burst your bubble but I have.

Zieg:
Just curiousity, do you have any data of these suicide clips killing anyone diving?

Read the book, Deep Descent: Adventure and Death Diving the Andrea Doria.

JeffG:
Wrong again.

Edited to add: I'll check into the book "Deep Descent" per Riguerin's post.

-- Original comment --
Bring forth the witnesses. There's a lot of hearsay and "it could happen" talk, but I have yet to hear any credible stories with names, places, and first-hand accounts. "I knew a guy who knew a guy" doesn't count.

I use a single gate-clip on my rig. It's on my camera tether (gate-clip on camera end, bolt-snap on anchor end) because I need to clip it on/off as quickly and easily as possible. If it ever entangled and was life threatening I'd cut it or unclip the other end (bolt-snap).

-Ben

Zieg:
What part is he wrong about? Is he wrong about the legend? Just curiousity, do you have any data of these suicide clips killing anyone diving?

Without going to look it up I believe that one of the Doria deaths has been partly attributed to suicide clips.

airsix:
Bring forth the witnesses. There's a lot of hearsay and "it could happen" talk, but I have yet to hear any credible stories with names, places, and first-hand accounts. "I knew a guy who knew a guy" doesn't count.

Happened to me. Isleworth wreck, Halifax, NS. 1990ish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom