Sidemount lower bands, cam-bands or stage rigging kit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wibble

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Have always dived with my own tanks. For these I use a Jubilee clip (worm drive?) or a standard stage rigging kit.

Call me a peasant, but I like to use standard deco/stage rigging kits with a bolt snap on the top and another boltsnap on the bottom, held in place with a Jubilee clip (think you might call this a worm drive in the US?). My harness has two chest D-rings on either side, the lower one for attaching the tanks, the upper for clipping off the myriad 'stuff' -- torch, regulators, etc. The primary reasons for this is it's massively easier to carry the tanks when walking to/from the water as the weight is on the nose clip and thus the chest of the harness, not on the hips and waist belt. It's also simpler for donning and doffing on a boat; clip on like a stage, then mess with the bungee in the water, maybe at the bottom of the shotline.

Am going for a trip abroad where I will be renting tanks for sidemounting and CCR bailout which I also sidemount.

Thus I've three options:
  • Cam bands with attached boltsnaps -- suggestions please :)
  • A single Jubilee clip with a boltsnap on a short thin rope. Means I must have a screwdriver to hand -- surely not that hard! May need to bring 7litre (thinner) bands as well as the thicker ali80 bands. Again, not hard.
  • Use a standard stage rigging kit with Jubilee bands. Has the benefit of always being the right length. It's slightly more faff to fit and needs a screwdriver and maybe different sized Jubilee clips.
Thoughts from the panel?

Examples of my sidemounted bailout tanks:
Tin labels.jpg

• A single Jubilee clip with a boltsnap on a short thin rope. Means I must have a screwdriver to hand -- surely not that hard! May need to bring 7litre (thinner) bands as well as the thicker ali80 bands. Again, not hard.
  • Use a standard stage rigging kit with Jubilee bands. Has the benefit of always being the right length. It's slightly more faff to fit and needs a screwdriver and maybe different sized Jubilee clips.
I have done both of your first 2 choices on travel. They both work well.

Cam Band: use a paracord loop with a tri-glide to attach lower bolt snap. Small paracord loop plus large double-ender at the top (stash double-enders once bungees are engaged in the water).
  • no tools required for quick cylinder changes on the boat.

Jubilee band: lower bolt snap on a short paracord loop captured by the knot under the band. Top same as above.
  • very minimal and streamlined.
  • almost as quick as cam band.
  • not that hard to keep a screw driver(or nut driver, what I use) on hand.

Regular stage rigging kit may not be a good idea because too many people being "helpful" will use the stage kit as a handle out of the water (if you mind that). You can make a piece of paracord with loops on both ends that is exactly the right length between the valve and lower bolt snap and use it as a guide every time you reinstall the cam band or jubilee band on a new tank, giving you the same "always the right length" advantage of the stage kit.

If you’re going to be diving on a trip, cambands. Makes switching tanks between dives much easier. That’s what my MX cave instructor uses, even for her own tanks.

I always dive a top leash for my steels at home and even did that in MX. Took my own. I leave the top leash clipped to D ring.

If you’re going to be diving on a trip, cambands. Makes switching tanks between dives much easier. That’s what my MX cave instructor uses, even for her own tanks.

I always dive a top leash for my steels at home and even did that in MX. Took my own. I leave the top leash clipped to D ring.
She’s probably the only unfortunate instructor in Mexico that uses them. There is no reason to use cam bands unless you already have them or they’re free.

Jubilee band, paracord, boltsnap. Bring a double elder and some additional paracord if you need it up top. Less weight, more secure connection, doesn’t stretch when wet. Bring your own nut driver or borrow a flathead.

I use the cambands to dial in my clocking and position of the lower bolt snap. After I have that dialed in I switch over to a pipe clamp. Ill take the cambands if I'm using someone else tank so I don't have to faff about with the pipe clamp, the cambands are just so much faster.

"Jubilee clip" I wasn't familiar with this term. Also known as hose-clamp or "worm drive hose clamp."

I prefer hose-clamp over cam-bands. Cam-bands tend to develop "memory," which can make them more difficult to make very secure. Most hose-clamps do require a screw-driver, but they're easy and fast enough to operate.

She’s probably the only unfortunate instructor in Mexico that uses them.
There's having a conversation like a normal human, and then there's always finding something to be rude and condescending about for no good reason. This isn't Twitter. All these frequent snarky remarks do is make you look like an antagonizer.

I use a cam band and just stick a leash with a knot at the end under it. Never had it slip and it makes it extra easy to adjust the lower leash during the dive if for any possible reason you want to do it or switch out the tanks on shore/boat. Never had it slip or open when I did not want it to. I never liked any other connections as I fiddle with my gear when I'm bored and like to do so with no tools.
Đ
It's more then strong enough for any type of use including sherpa-ing multiple tanks over dry land.

Have always dived with my own tanks. For these I use a Jubilee clip (worm drive?) or a standard stage rigging kit.

Call me a peasant, but I like to use standard deco/stage rigging kits with a bolt snap on the top and another boltsnap on the bottom, held in place with a Jubilee clip (think you might call this a worm drive in the US?). My harness has two chest D-rings on either side, the lower one for attaching the tanks, the upper for clipping off the myriad 'stuff' -- torch, regulators, etc. The primary reasons for this is it's massively easier to carry the tanks when walking to/from the water as the weight is on the nose clip and thus the chest of the harness, not on the hips and waist belt. It's also simpler for donning and doffing on a boat; clip on like a stage, then mess with the bungee in the water, maybe at the bottom of the shotline.

Am going for a trip abroad where I will be renting tanks for sidemounting and CCR bailout which I also sidemount.

Thus I've three options:
Thoughts from the panel?

Examples of my sidemounted bailout tanks:
View attachment 764847
I have to intrude your tread a second. How do you post a question to these forums?

I have to intrude your tread a second. How do you post a question to these forums?
Go to the forum -- as in it shows you the threads (e.g. click on "Sidemount Diving" above)

Click on the RED button for POST THREAD on the top RHS

I dive my pony sidemountish style. Clipped in top and bottom and then bungeed up to the side. For travelling, I use Dive-Rite's 1.5" wide camband (BC 2036-1.5 - Cam Straps - Dive Rite) in a roll-my-own stage-strap rig for my 5" bolttles. It is not as secure as the ones I made with jubilee clips/worm clamps but certainly acceptable. Speed and toolless are the real advantages, especially if you will be swapping tanks between dives.

Dive-Rite also has them complete: Travel Stage Strap - Dive Rite
Travel-Stage-Strap_GM2049-7_Full-View.jpg

ETA: Camband just replaces the clamp/jubilee clip with some futzing if/as required to fit around/under the wider camband.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom