Suggestions: Roatan Dive Group 10+ divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gadelhak.ali

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm in charge of planning out my local dive shop's Summer 2018 dive trip and we decided on Roatan!

We run a couple dive trips per year. Usually 1 Caribbean (cheaper), 1 exotic (more expensive), and 1 camping trip (very cheap). We're a non-profit dive shop in Chicago, so all of our trips have a charitable/educational component.

Our Caribbean trips usually have 15-20 people.

I'm looking for suggestions for places that will accommodate us. It is mainly divers that come, but we might have the occasional non-diver or two. Things that are important to us:

-Quality dive op (majority of attendees will be seasoned divers, and not beginners)
-Community living (separate rooms are ok, but it's usually a pretty friendly bunch :)
-Good value (we're also cheap :p jk)

Things that don't matter as much:

-Luxurious rooms (we're going for the diving)

Ideally we'd like to work with a dive resort that has regularly hosted groups, but open to others as well.

Thanks in advance!!

P.S. - you can message me if you'd like to join!! ...whether you're in Chicago or not

The current SB Invasion is going to Roatan and staying at Anthony's Key Resort - they did previously also (2014). 3 dives/day full AI. If you need it, the Roatan Chamber is on site also. Nice boats, good diving - they like everyone else offer the Shark Dive on the south side by the airport. A couple of deeper wrecks, Spooky Channel is nearby and don't miss Keyhole. Farther west Texas is a good drift dive - AKR should go there. AKR has a disappointing shore dive though.

Their primary competition is probably Cocoview but CCV has better shore diving, both a wall and a purposely sunken wreck. Either accesses Mary's Place - the signature Roatan dive.

I'll let someone else talk about CCV - @Doc - since I've dove near there but not been to the resort.

Non-Divers can enjoy shopping/nightlife in the West End near AKR - about 5mins. west by cab. If you have a sizable group ask them to get you a van instead.

Good value? All of 2017 they're offering a BOGO. Standard means shutters/fans, Superior has A/C. You want that. AKR will pick you up at the airport also.

RIMS - the Roatan Institute for Marine Sciences is on-site - they're mostly the Dolphin people. That dive is extra - about $140 currently. There's also a snorkel and a beach encounter.

We bring medical supplies for Sister Peggy's clinic - Clinica Esperanza. It's just a few minutes away. They publish a list of current needs. It's legit, I know a doctor here who volunteers there.

bring a lot of Deet...

I'm pushing this over to the Bay Islands forum since Roatan is one.

Last edited:
We just got back from Roatan and stayed at Turquoise Bay Resort. I think we had 16 people total and 12 divers. Having our own boat to ourselves was nice. The boats were the nicest I've ever been on. I posted a full review in the Bay Islands. I believe there was some type of special, but we booked through a wholesaler so I don't know what it was. Get the drink package, great bartenders!

We are looking at going back in August /September.

Safe travels,
Jay

Our resort of choice is Media Luna Resort & Spa, on the south shore of Roatan and located farther east. This provides both the opportunity for solitude and the ability to be closer to the reef. Media Luna hosts a great shore dive on Half Moon Bay which is available any time during dive shop hours. Boat diving consists of 15 boat dives provided by the able staff of Aqua Adventures and one guided night dive per week. And that's just the diving!

Media Luna is a beautiful resort with individual bungalows able to accommodate single, double, triple or even quadruple occupancy. Each porch has a patio with a table & chairs and even a hammock. You've got your own TV, Refrigerator, Electronic Safe, etc. You've also got a spacious bathroom with 2 sink areas, a rainshower, and a separate room with toilet & bidet. (They're very European ;-)

We just returned from a trip there with a group of 11, but have hosted 17 at a time. The bottom line for me are the absolutely sweet people who work there. They will do anything possible to keep you smiling.

I am currently booking all-inclusive trips to Media Luna, so please let me know if I can be of help.

Hi all!

I'm in charge of planning out my local dive shop's Summer 2018 dive trip and we decided on Roatan!

We run a couple dive trips per year. Usually 1 Caribbean (cheaper), 1 exotic (more expensive), and 1 camping trip (very cheap). We're a non-profit dive shop in Chicago, so all of our trips have a charitable/educational component.

Our Caribbean trips usually have 15-20 people.

I'm looking for suggestions for places that will accommodate us. It is mainly divers that come, but we might have the occasional non-diver or two. Things that are important to us:

-Quality dive op (majority of attendees will be seasoned divers, and not beginners)
-Community living (separate rooms are ok, but it's usually a pretty friendly bunch :)
-Good value (we're also cheap :p jk)

Things that don't matter as much:

-Luxurious rooms (we're going for the diving)

Ideally we'd like to work with a dive resort that has regularly hosted groups, but open to others as well.

Thanks in advance!!

P.S. - you can message me if you'd like to join!! ...whether you're in Chicago or not

I am a chicago girl - was just looking at Roatan for a summer trip - where are you located and when are you going?

I dove Cocoview a couple of years ago - Great shore/wall diving and access to tanks 24/7 so lots of night diving opportunities. Many of us would go out for either sunset or sunrise dives. Lodging was rustic, but rather charming - over the water bungalows. No beach and no pool or comfy lounge chairs so not a lot of options for non divers. Food was good and family style - really liked the friendly atmosphere. Would definitely recommend CCV!

Last edited:
We stayed at Cocoview last fall, I had one of the rooms over the water. They were comfortable with good AC.

Most people did 4 dives a day, 2 each in the morning and afternoon boats, first dive at a different location each time and the second at one of two walls very close to the resort. You enter from the boat on those dives, go along the wall at any depth you choose and finish up back at the resort.

Beach dives are available any time you want to either of those walls or a large wreck located between them.

Food was good, served in a large dining room cafeteria style. Not really what I would consider gormet but I don't recall a single meal I didn't like, usually several options for main dishes every meal. There were several large groups there and a number of smaller groups and pairs. Everyone looked to be having a good time.

I think their best feature was the atmosphere, they treat their guests like family. They cared and it showed.

They do have a bar and entertainment a couple of the nights but if you're into night life this might not be the best choice, most folks were just relaxing in the evening.

If you're looking for a very laid back vacation with easy diving I would highly recommend them!

It is mainly divers that come, but we might have the occasional non-diver or two. Things that are important to us:

-Good value (we're also cheap :p

I heard my name and the Coco View reference.

If you have a non-diver, skip CCV. If they are a snorkeler, they'll be fine, but CCV is for water babies. Are you running vacation travel or dive travel? Hmmm.

With the inclusive price at CCV you can very easily get 27 dives in a week. When you compare, be sure to count the apples and oranges with great care.

CCV is far and away my choice, but if you're really bringing along non-swimmers, AKR would be my suggestion. They're not going to like it there either, but at CCV they'd go stir crazy- but they'd do it alone, everyone else would be stinky wet for the week. Their loss.

I am a chicago girl - was just looking at Roatan for a summer trip - where are you located and when are you going?

ahhh good to see Haigh in your profile pic :p

The tentative dates are May 19-26, 2018.Have you heard of Learn Scuba Chicago? We're in Chicago on Fullerton and Western Home

We are going to Cuba THIS summer!! woohoo We'd love for you to join us on any of our trips :) Since you've been to Roatan before I'm sure you could give us some inside tips :wink:

Ok so seems like Anthony's and CoCo are the 2 big players. I'll also look into Media Luna.

Thanks for all the info guys! I'm sure I'll have a ton more questions (like actual dive sites there lol) once I circled back with the shop people and get their input.

Thanks again everyone!! :) :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom