Suggestions: Roatan Dive Group 10+ divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If they don't need to discount to stay booked they'd be crazy to do so. I wouldn't discount if I didn't have to. But if the OP or shop wants the best value for their customers, AK is the way to go.

Maybe yes, maybe no.

Like I said, it all comes down to apples and oranges... value that is.

How much is your vacation time worth? I mean, if you really want "bargain diving", the clear choice would be FI, but good luck on that choice. People do still go to FI, the survivors still post awful reports, but most of them finish up with something about "great price". (after you sort through the obvious 5* phonies) Again- how much is your vacation time worth?

AKR is a world class dive operation and a good resort hotel. They get the bulk of their income from Cruise Ship day divers and Dolphin Pesters. They look at the week-long guests as a way to keep the staff busy in the evenings. Years ago, the week long guests were all divers- not so much anymore, their marketing has expanded beyond the divenuts crowd. It works for them, and they really don't care about discounting for 1/2 price- they are awash in cruise ship & dolphin money, there is a constant flow of locals passing through- it is part of a street to a village. Their dive op is top shelf, their DMs do a nice job, their boats are glossy, they have sit-down meal service and a pool. They steadfastly claim a limited hours "shore dive" but it exists in name only. It is a short cab ride away from West End, and that is a huge selling point. (One which makes no sense to me, though. As in: I've chosen this place because it's easy to get away from). It offers a little something for the non-diver. My dive-centric friends who use AKR get 17 dives in a week. We shall see glowing reports from the SB Invasion. Alcohol, free stuff, and limbo dancing will be involved.

CCV is a dive resort, plain and simple. Go there expecting a well oiled dive machine. You will be in the water 5x a day without breaking a sweat. We're doing 27 in a week. Your room is made to appear Robinson Crusoe rustic, it sits on posts over the live reef. Meals are cafeteria style, nobody looses weight, eat whatever and all you want. Shore diving, which is absolutely remarkable, is available 24 hours a day. No one is there that isn't an employee or guest. Sitting on its own private 10 acre key, security is such that you can leave cameras, computers and whatever lying on the dining room tables for days. There has been no real thought to ever build a pool, there's a salt pool literally at your doorsteps. It is almost ADA accessible, the two stair steps in the resort also have a ramp. Biggest downside: If you aren't at least a snorkeler, you should start drinking furiously upon arrival. Entire groups of snorkelers arrive and never go much further than the "Front Yard" dive site.

Two similar properties? Close? Kinda, maybe, maybe not. It's still a real decision making process to figure out what will work best for you, harder still with a "group". Like I intimated above, a group tour leader has to decide if they're offering a dive vacation or a vacation with diving.

An even greater disparity on Roatan can be seen with the further split- not between 'dive resorts', but further afield to West End day dive ops. They give you the true Margaritaville option, drink all night, find a meal, dive once, drink again. This schedule would be a poor utilization of the pre-paid cost structure at any AI such as AKR or CCV. But- the West End hosts 90% of the island visitors who dive- if but at least once. AI's here make sense only if you want more than 2 dives a day. The converse is true- day dive ops will cost you in several ways if you want more than 2 a day. Plain math.

These days, the market has changed in dive travel. Gone are the days when dive travelers demanded classical dive resorts. You can leave any property and go zip lining, golf, or any number of other non-SCUBA activities, but the days of SCUBA resorts per-se are dwindling because of the new customer model. The vacationers today simply want more of a catered resort feel, hence the explosion in popularity of SCUBA diving while on a Cruise Ship, or the water sports inclusions at Sandals and Club Dread.

When I speak or write about how customer desires have changed, when I mention the quantitative decline in requested dive excursions, many listeners misperceive this as my challenging their manhood. I don't care how much stuff other than diving that you want in your 2017 vacation, I can only speak to the dive crowd. They may be dwindling, the lure of a bar over a night dive- I see that, but I'll stick with the nitrogen junkies.

What's your vacation time worth? A complicated equation.

Last edited:
Doc, that's the point I always try to make about dive trips. People need to first understand their priorities.

There are NOT only two options on Roatan if you want a great group dive trip. While I agree that CocoView offers hands down the best dive...dive...dive opportunity on the island, I completely disagree that AKR offers the only dive AND resort option.

I have been to AKR...twice. And while I had a good time, I was less than impressed with a couple of things. First and most important was the dive experience. While the diving itself was good, the duration of each dive was short and the focus was on getting back to the resort on a schedule. It felt very commercial to me. Secondly, climbing all of those stairs :mad: You have to climb up and down multitudes of stairs to get anywhere...

There is another option that has not yet been adopted by American divers, although it's FULL of Canadian divers taking advantage of the great diving offered. That's Media Luna Resort & Spa. It's on the south shore near CocoView. It is a viable option for those who want to do 3 boat dives to different locations each day and enjoy the resort atmosphere in addition.

I have been there numerous times and developed a love for the place. So this year I started booking trips for them. American divers should discover this place...

I am going to guess the AKR buy one get one free deal was introduced for low season a few years ago. Then some people started getting it outside of low season. Maybe they started an email conversation with the resort while the low season dates got filled. Now that so many have gotten the deal and posted about it, that's what people expect.

Reactions: Doc
My favorite resort on Roatan was Bay Island Beach Resort. After my visit it was the only place I would book. Really loved the entire operation but especially the staff. Hated to see them close but when the economy tanked they just couldn't keep their head above water. Maybe they just had too many dive resorts?

I think BIBR didn't have a capacity large enough to sustain fixed costs. It was a real-deal dive resort, of the kind that put Roatan on the map.

Not every resort that is currently operational is beholden to the profit motive. A few are run for "tax (ahem) purposes". This is the time of year, Semana Santa, when Central and South American "investors" show up to them with a few dozen of their closest associates.

You could try renting 2-3 houses in West End and diving with Coconut Tree Divers! They can help you choose a few nice rentals close to the diveshop.

ahhh good to see Haigh in your profile pic :p

The tentative dates are May 19-26, 2018.Have you heard of Learn Scuba Chicago? We're in Chicago on Fullerton and Western Home

We are going to Cuba THIS summer!! woohoo We'd love for you to join us on any of our trips :) Since you've been to Roatan before I'm sure you could give us some inside tips :wink:

Shoot - May won't work for me - Family obligations. Maybe Cuba??? I'll check Learn Scuba website or keep me posted! I am married but buddyless.

Back
Top Bottom