Suggestions for a small SMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We use the Carter SMBs...
The one I'm using currrently is the 25# fish float...oral inflate with OPV...hooked up to 100ft spool.

For me, essentials in an SMB:
1. Yellow dayglow since that is many times more visible than orange
2. Closed design...open design get water in them that is a pain to get out
3. Good balance of portability and visibility. I like to carry an SMB in my pocket all the time, every dive. If the SMB is too big, I'll eventually leave it ashore and that might be the time I need it for something. 4.5 foot seems to be a good compromise for my dive conditions. I do have taller ones I'd take if I were going seriously out to sea...but then I'd have an EPIRB as well.
4. 100ft spool is a nice size for balancing use and portability....it stays in the pocket all the time hooked up to the SMB. With 100ft, I can shoot a bag from the first deco stop depth (21m) as long as there is not a ripping current, though it should be possible to keep the line vertical with good skills in a drift situation regardless of wind or current...

5. The 3-foot thin models are good for training...I've had them. Convenient for training in shallow water...but are pretty useless for anything other than ideal conditions at close range...IMHO...I long ago decided it was better to have students train with something they could actually use for real diving as well...(in our conditions)

Last edited:
Personally, I have never inflated my SMB from an LP hose, but I know people who prefer to do that. I like the Halcyon inflator primarily for the large flange that allowed me to seal my lips around it when they are cold. And I like the OPV.

I generally love DSS stuff, but I don't like the oral inflate nozzle, and I really don't like their OPV, which makes it VERY difficult to deflate the bag underwater if you want to shoot it repeatedly for practice, and makes it difficult to rinse the inside.

I would't disconnect the BC hose--it's too short and would be too much trouble to get free of the corrugated hose. The drysuit hose is longer and more accessible, and can be left in place and tucked away if you're diving wet.

…
1. Yellow dayglow since that is many times more visible than orange
…

Interesting. I asked a bunch of Coast Guard guys what color they see best when I was choosing a kayak. Everyone said Orange without hesitation. Perhaps that is because it is the Coast Guard Color, maybe it is the sea conditions here on the Northern California coast, or maybe these men just don’t like yellow. I know Orange was a little better color for spotting large boats in the North Sea than Yellow, but that was over much greater distances than is relevant here. Mostly what they really liked was an EPIRB or PLB… no color preference was expressed. :wink:

I have tried many SMBs from different manufacturers, and personally have always come back to the Halcyon 3.3' closed-circuit SMB as the best all-around bag. For Fundamentals, you'll want a bag that is appropriate for inflating in shallow depths (~25-30'), so the smaller bags are going to be more appropriate.
So your Fundies teacher speaks :cool2:

Interesting. I asked a bunch of Coast Guard guys what color they see best when I was choosing a kayak. Everyone said Orange without hesitation. Perhaps that is because it is the Coast Guard Color, maybe it is the sea conditions here on the Northern California coast, or maybe these men just don’t like yellow. I know Orange was a little better color for spotting large boats in the North Sea than Yellow, but that was over much greater distances than is relevant here. Mostly what they really liked was an EPIRB or PLB… no color preference was expressed.
03.gif
My kayak is orange too so it would be visible and of course it is one of my favorite colors
04.gif

When it came time to buy a current/tag line and buoy for my boat, I did a bunch of research into the most visible color. Turns out yellow is more visible in twilight hours. So my line is of course yellow as that is about all you can get, and my buoy is also yellow.

The 3.3' H brand SMB I have is orange. I read where some places outside the US consider a yellow SMB a sign of distress, with orange being the standard color.

… For Fundamentals, you'll want a bag that is appropriate for inflating in shallow depths (~25-30'), so the smaller bags are going to be more appropriate.

From the perspective of popping the bag from depth to support decom, does it really matter if it does not fill completely? It is easy enough to fill on the surface. Mine stands up OK half filled when the diver(s) hanging off go slightly negative. I must admit, my intent is to use my SMB as often as a lift bag as a safety sausage.

I also use a 25lb. Carter spearfishing popper float. 3 breaths or CO2 inflation. You can borrow it for a couple weeks to try out if you want. The price varies depending on retailer. Hook-up to my speargun reel.

From the perspective of popping the bag from depth to support decom, does it really matter if it does not fill completely? It is easy enough to fill on the surface. Mine stands up OK half filled when the diver(s) hanging off go slightly negative. I must admit, my intent is to use my SMB as often as a lift bag as a safety sausage.

From my point of view, the SMB's main purpose is to mark your position to your surface team (boat support crew, etc). In order to fulfill that purpose, the bag needs to be full and standing upright at the surface. I have been on the boat before helping to track SMBs from decompressing teams, and while 3.3' may seem like alot, with a bit of swell/wave action you really need the bag standing upright in order to be seen.

The bag does also serve as a nice reference line for the decompressing team, but I (personally) consider that to be secondary to marking my position to the boat above. For the diving style that we do locally, we may have several teams drifting on deco for up to 1hr, depending on the boat to track and follow the SMBs, hence it is really crucial that they are visible.

So your Fundies teacher speaks :cool2:

Yup, pretty definitive answer for my current question/purpose :) Will borrow a friend's for the class and try to find one used for a bit longer before giving up and paying retail.

The 3.3' H brand SMB I have is orange. I read where some places outside the US consider a yellow SMB a sign of distress, with orange being the standard color.

I'd learned yellow indicates distress, orange indicates location, but I wasn't sure where I'd learned that. I learned to sail in Australia, so perhaps that's where.

sounds like HOG one :)

1473-1802.JPG

It is a similar design (can exhale or use LP Hose) but IMO not the same quality.
- SMB has a Oral / Bc hose inflator at the bottom
(plastic tip for one and it appears in the photo that you have to push the end in with mouth or LP inflator, just like on a lot of other manufacturers)

14-OPV-NoLock_c400.jpg

Advantage for All Halcyon Closed Circuit Markers/Bags
- Chrome/Brass No-Lock LP® connector
- Nothing to push in to activate
- Easy to put lips around and Orally inflate in cold water environments

A little bit more but well worth it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom