Suggestions for a small SMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

… I really like the inflator they use, which can be hooked up to an LP hose if you like, but has a large flange around the nipple that makes it easy to seal around it with cold, numb lips...

Is use of a BC/drysuit inflator hose reserved for the surface only or is there a technique to use it at depth without the risk of being dragging to the surface? I don't have an oral inflation tube on mine but haven't had much trouble inflating it on the surface. I only tried it once, but I could blow air into it by wrapping my face with bottom almost like a handkerchief.

I did try a regular shop air nozzle with a BC QD nipple for filling lots of air bags on one project. I found it more trouble than just using the second stage though. Surface supplied divers have it easy; they just call for air blown out their pneumo hose.

Another question, do most people use them to hang off for decom stops or surface signaling? Seems like too much trouble to deploy unless I am drifting fast enough to seriously require help — or maybe because I would take too much ribbing for expecting them to pull anchor and recover my sorry butt. I guess deploying is not even the issue; I don't enjoy rolling the SMB and string back up.

Is use of a BC/drysuit inflator hose reserved for the surface only or is there a technique to use it at depth without the risk of being dragging to the surface?

The nipple on SMB is not locking kind. So it will not drag you to the surface as it self disconnects if gets out of your hands.

Now if you get snagged in a line from finger spool that is another story.

I deploy a bag any time I'm doing a free ascent of more than 20 feet or so -- and sometimes even that shallow, if there's any boat traffic around. Almost all our charters are live boat, so shooting a bag lets the boat know exactly where you are (and that you are coming up) so they're right there when you surface, and you don't have to wait in the cold water.

And as someone who sometimes boat tends for divers, I can tell you that seeing that bag come up causes a big smile and a sigh of relief!

The nipple on SMB is not locking kind. So it will not drag you to the surface as it self disconnects if gets out of your hands.

Now if you get snagged in a line from finger spool that is another story.

Am I understanding correctly? Would it be correct to say the nipple on the SMB does not have a groove for the QDs detent balls to engage? Is the nipple's diameter also reduced compared to the nipple on the inflator? I know mine has a tendency to jamb when pulled sideways at all while disengaging.

If this is correct, do you have to maintain pressure on the nipple to keep the pressure-seating valve in the QD open? It sounds like a two handed job. If so, it seems like it would be very awkward to also manage a finger spool at the same time. Am I off in the weeds?

Am I understanding correctly? Would it be correct to say the nipple on the SMB does not have a groove for the QDs detent balls to engage? Is the nipple's diameter also reduced compared to the nipple on the inflator? I know mine has a tendency to jamb when pulled sideways at all while disengaging.

If this is correct, do you have to maintain pressure on the nipple to keep the upstream valve in the QD open? It sounds like a two handed job. If so, it seems like it would be very awkward to also manage a finger spool at the same time. Am I off in the weeds?

Never had issues with jambing. (using HOG 6ft SMB)

I can do it with one hand pushing nipple into QD hose but I prefer oral inflation through the same nipple as it gives me time to adjust buoyancy better.

I am by no means an expert in deploying and should practice it more.

It's a two-handed job initially putting the two pieces together, but once they're in place, you can just squeeze them together with one hand, especially easy if your dry suit hose has a flange on it. It only takes a second or two for enough air to enter and the bag to be away. There's nothing on the bag/SMB nipple for the quick-lock fitting to engage.

Is use of a BC/drysuit inflator hose reserved for the surface only or is there a technique to use it at depth without the risk of being dragging to the surface? I don't have an oral inflation tube on mine but haven't had much trouble inflating it on the surface. I only tried it once, but I could blow air into it by wrapping my face with bottom almost like a handkerchief.

Inflating with an inflator hose does has it's risks as you are increasing the chances of entanglement with line so close to your equipment. In addition, it is not always easy to re-connect a pressurized hose to your receptacle. Personally, I like reels for open ocean usage. Spools are a pain for a spear-fisherman/photographer, etc. to deal with.

Another question, do most people use them to hang off for decom stops or surface signaling? Seems like too much trouble to deploy unless I am drifting fast enough to seriously require help — or maybe because I would take too much ribbing for expecting them to pull anchor and recover my sorry butt. I guess deploying is not even the issue; I don't enjoy rolling the SMB and string back up.

In S. Florida, someone on the team either is towing a float-ball or deploying a SMB every dive...

I have tried many SMBs from different manufacturers, and personally have always come back to the Halcyon 3.3' closed-circuit SMB as the best all-around bag. For Fundamentals, you'll want a bag that is appropriate for inflating in shallow depths (~25-30'), so the smaller bags are going to be more appropriate.

This is one of the places where I think the price premium on the Halcyon is WELL worth it. I really like the inflator they use, which can be hooked up to an LP hose if you like, but has a large flange around the nipple that makes it easy to seal around it with cold, numb lips. I like the pull dump that you can unscrew to rinse the inside of the bag.

We have owned, I believe, six different models of bag, and no longer buy anything but the Halcyon ones.

So do you carry a completely extra (redundant) LP inflator hose on your rig to allow SMB inflation or do you disconnect your BC, inflate the bag and then reconnect the inflator.

I would think that carrying an extra potential failure point (i.e., extra hose) wouldn't be DIR, but on the other hand, not having use of the power inflator, immediately after messing with the SMB could present some problems and compromise safety as well.

I myself run an extra inflator hose, but I wonder what the "correct" best management practice is? In our local diving, we sometimes drfit dive on deep wrecks and i use an SMB and a reel which is deployed from maybe 160 feet or so.

Carter Lift bags makes some very high quality, completely sealed SMB's as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom