Suggestion Suggestion: Please Don't Make Threads Disappear Because of a Few Bad Posts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
H2Andy

H2Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
in a recent thread, which has been going on and on for ever, about a fairly volatile subject (Creation v. Evolution) the following Mod comment was posted:

*** MOD POST***
Keep The Insults Off The Board. If you can't do so then you will be removed and this thread will disappear.
*** END MOD POST ***

first, let me say that I agree 100% that personal insults have no place on this board, and they need to be rooted out. i'm not sure what it's meant by "you will be removed" but I assume that means that the person will lose posting privileges, per TOS. again, not a problem for me. we have no room for people who insult others.

my concern is with the last clause, "this thread will disappear."

i say NO, PLEASE!!

don't remove good threads just because some people act like bongholes. shut the bungholes up, but let the "good citizens" keep on discussing what they're discussing.

just a suggestion, not meant to flame anybody

NWGratefulDiver:
if a mod does something you don't like, try PM'ing the mod first and asking them why they did it. If that doesn't bring you satisfaction, PM Pete. It's almost always the case that one can get more done by dealing directly with the person you're having issues with than by trying to publicly take someone to task for a perceived "wrong".
Amen, brother Bob! That is great advice!

NWGratefulDiver:
Here's my "suggestion" ... if a mod does something you don't like, try PM'ing the mod first and asking them why they did it. If that doesn't bring you satisfaction, PM Pete. It's almost always the case that one can get more done by dealing directly with the person you're having issues with than by trying to publicly take someone to task for a perceived "wrong".

thanks Pete, i had missed this response

bob, nobody did anything i didn't like. someone said that the thread would vanish if bad posts continued, and i posted stating that shouldn't be the way to go.

did you read my first post before answering?

All this public whining about the moderators is useless ... especially from someone who's been in the position and should understand better than most the rationale behind the decision-making process.

who was whining about the moderators, pray tell?

i simply said, please don't disappear a thread because of a few bad apples

did you read my post?

here's what i said. please underline the whining:

H2Andy:
in a recent thread, which has been going on and on for ever, about a fairly volatile subject (Creation v. Evolution) the following Mod comment was posted:

Quote:
*** MOD POST***
Keep The Insults Off The Board. If you can't do so then you will be removed and this thread will disappear.
*** END MOD POST ***

first, let me say that I agree 100% that personal insults have no place on this board, and they need to be rooted out. i'm not sure what it's meant by "you will be removed" but I assume that means that the person will lose posting privileges, per TOS. again, not a problem for me. we have no room for people who insult others.

my concern is with the last clause, "this thread will disappear."

i say NO, PLEASE!!

don't remove good threads just because some people act like bongholes. shut the bungholes up, but let the "good citizens" keep on discussing what they're discussing.

just a suggestion, not meant to flame anybody

did you read it all the way through now?

the reason i didn't PM a singular Mod is that my problem is not with a singular Mod but with ScubaBoard policy in general. i thought the best way to do that was to use the Suggestions Forum.

and, again, someone attacks me for availing myself of the Suggestions fourm, and says that i whine (rich coming from certain parties... but no more on that :wink:)

but i will say this, Bob, you are hardly neutral on this issue ... or, frankly, on any issue concerning me.... no matter how much you'd like to pretend otherwise :wink:

Bob: by the way, i took your advice to keep stuff private and take stuff to PM's and sent you a PM just now.

H2Andy:
the reason i didn't PM a singular Mod is that my problem is not with a singular Mod but with ScubaBoard policy in general. i thought the best way to do that was to use the Suggestions Forum.
But your problem IS with a singular Mod ... because a singular mod wrote what you objected to. And since the thread in question is still going strong, what you're objecting to obviously cannot be ScubaBoard policy in general. In fact, since the thread hasn't disappeared, your objection can ONLY be to the words of a single moderator.

H2Andy:
Bob: by the way, i took your advice to keep stuff private and take stuff to PM's and sent you a PM just now.
Yes I know, Andy ... it was very thoughtful of you to call me names in private.

Very mature too ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

LOL

well, you said i was whining, in public

NWGratefulDiver:
All this public whining about the moderators is useless ...

at least i had the courtesy to respond in private

:wink:

(see, you DO live in a glass house ... what was that about stones?)

and by the way, you didn't address the substance of my prior post

When you decide to post something of substance, perhaps we can discuss it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
When you decide to post something of substance, perhaps we can discuss it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

LOL!

good going, Bob... two personal insults in one thread

:wink:

(i think when it comes to me, certain people are going to make everything personal ... alas ... what a burden i bear! :wink:)

ah well ... can we go back on topic now?

to whit:

is it a good idea to delete a whole thread because a few posts (or perhaps more than a few) break TOS?

i say not. i don't think that's a good solution.

H2Andy:
is it a good idea to delete a whole thread because a few posts (or perhaps more than a few) break TOS?
Generally speaking, no ... it's not a good idea.

But then, you WERE framing this as though it is ScubaBoard policy ... and you well know ... as I do ... that it is not.

And since the thread you are complaining about did not get deleted ... and in fact, you continue posting to it even as we have this little "debate" ... I fail to see why you are even asking the question.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

BECAUSE, Bob, it was stated that the thread WOULD disapear

how do you know it didn't thanks to this thread?

also, i don't believe I am ominiscient about ScubaBoard policies, particulalrly since I've not been a moderator for what, six months?

i did not frame it as though it were ScubaBoard policy. i responded to a post by a Mod in a thread i care about. i took the post at face value. READ what it says.

please read the first post, ok?

why do you keep making this about me? give it a rest, will ya?

H2Andy:
BECAUSE, Bob, it was stated that the thread WOULD disapear
By a singular mod ...

H2Andy:
how do you know it didn't thanks to this thread?
How do you know that the insults didn't stop thanks to what the mod posted?

H2Andy:
also, i don't believe I am ominiscient about ScubaBoard policies, particulalrly since I've not been a moderator for what, six months?
But as one of Pete's most trusted senior staff members for two years, you helped determine ScubaBoard policies. Surely your memory is better than that.

H2Andy:
i did not frame it as though it were ScubaBoard policy. i responded to a post by a Mod in a thread i care about. i took the post at face value. READ what it says.
Then again ... perhaps it's not. Scroll up a few replies. Less than an hour ago you posted ... "the reason i didn't PM a singular Mod is that my problem is not with a singular Mod but with ScubaBoard policy in general. i thought the best way to do that was to use the Suggestions Forum."

Even a lawyer can't have it both ways, Andy ...

H2Andy:
please read the first post, ok?
I did ... sounded to me like you were whining about the moderators again.

H2Andy:
why do you keep making this about me? give it a rest, will ya?
Well, to use a scuba diving analogy, you should always be able to count on your friends to tell you when it's time to wipe the booger off your nose ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
By a singular mod ...

who happens to be an Advisor. i would say that carries a lot of weight.

How do you know that the insults didn't stop thanks to what the mod posted?

they probably did, but that's not the issue. the issue is that it was stated that if
MORE insults happened, the thread would be deleted.

that's what i was responding to.

But as one of Pete's most trusted senior staff members for two years, you helped determine ScubaBoard policies. Surely your memory is better than that.

ask Pete about the first part of your statement. only he can comment.

regardless, yes, i knew what the policy WAS. i have no idea if it has changed in the past six months.

when an Advisor stated that the thread would dissapear, my fear was that the policy had changed.

Then again ... perhaps it's not. Scroll up a few replies. Less than an hour ago you posted ... "the reason i didn't PM a singular Mod is that my problem is not with a singular Mod but with ScubaBoard policy in general. i thought the best way to do that was to use the Suggestions Forum."

Even a lawyer can't have it both ways, Andy ...

not sure what you mean (thanks for bringing up that i am a lawyer, btw)

as i said, i didn't have a problem with the Mod personally, but i feared that they were indicating a shift in ScubaBoard policy.

where's the confusion?

I did ... sounded to me like you were whining about the moderators again.

hehehe... three personal insults in a single thread (apparently this thread is a TOS-violation free zone)

Well, to use a scuba diving analogy, you should always be able to count on your friends to tell you when it's time to wipe the booger off your nose ...

i don't even know what that means. personally, you have not acted as a friend to me, so ... not sure where you're going with this

feels more like someone sniping at me

Back
Top Bottom