Suggestion Suggestion: Please Don't Make Threads Disappear Because of a Few Bad Posts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
H2Andy

H2Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
in a recent thread, which has been going on and on for ever, about a fairly volatile subject (Creation v. Evolution) the following Mod comment was posted:

*** MOD POST***
Keep The Insults Off The Board. If you can't do so then you will be removed and this thread will disappear.
*** END MOD POST ***

first, let me say that I agree 100% that personal insults have no place on this board, and they need to be rooted out. i'm not sure what it's meant by "you will be removed" but I assume that means that the person will lose posting privileges, per TOS. again, not a problem for me. we have no room for people who insult others.

my concern is with the last clause, "this thread will disappear."

i say NO, PLEASE!!

don't remove good threads just because some people act like bongholes. shut the bungholes up, but let the "good citizens" keep on discussing what they're discussing.

just a suggestion, not meant to flame anybody

Just some thoughts...

It can be just a matter of time.

Removing a thread only takes seconds.
Cleaning it may take half an hour.

Is this a one time action or do we need to do this again and again?

I couldn't agree more with you, Andy

I've been stunned that this thread has lasted as long as it has. I mean, seriously.

The users have been moderating themselves quite well in the thread. There have been some warm discussions in the thread, but I think the offenders (true offenders - not just the ones with Bullseyes on their backs due to past bafoonery) should be surgically removed and the thread remain.

---
Ken

El Orans:

just to play devil's advocate (hehehe...), the Mods are here to serve the members, not the other way around.

service should mean that if it takes time to do it right, it takes time to do it right.

i know quite a few whiz Mods who could get any thread turned around in no time at all.... i have no reason to believe that has changed

Ken: thank you. good to know we agree on this one.

El Orans:
Just some thoughts...

It can be just a matter of time.

It's not fair to the other posters who have followed the rules to delete the post because of the actions of one or a few people.

two "wrongs" don't make a "right" here....

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

All,

this thread has remained quite civil, and I for one would hate to see it degenerate. :(

El Orans is indicating that sometimes cleaning a thread (not necessarily this one) can take some serious time, and during that time it can further degenerate. When some good threads go bad, they often need to be pulled to stop the degeneration and then hopefully returned after they have been "cleansed".

Sometimes the volunteer mod has the time to perform the exorcism right then, and sometimes they do not. It's always best when posters self moderate and give respect to opposing points of view. After all, if we ALL agreed it would be pretty boring around here.

H2Andy:
just to play devil's advocate (hehehe...), the Mods are here to serve the members, not the other way around.

service should mean that if it takes time to do it right, it takes time to do it right.

i know quite a few whiz Mods who could get any thread turned around in no time at all.... i have no reason to believe that has changed

Ken: thank you. good to know we agree on this one.
You just had to bring up DIR didn't you :D

Back
Top Bottom