Submerged house boat by Windy Point

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharkster

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone seen it? Is it an easy penetration? I hear it's a long swim from the private side entry point but I've never went looking for it myself.

No idea where it is. Have dove the private side alot an have never heard of it. Will look for a map.

I've also dove the private side a lot, that's where we take classes, and never heard of a house boat. There were maps made by Richard at Windy Point but if it's not a part of the park then maybe that is why the housreboat wasn't on it. I'd be interested if you find out.

Suzanne

I asked Richard about it once and he said that he had nothing to do with the houseboat, hence it's not on the map. He told me where it was though. I'd like to check it out sometime, it's pretty shallow I hear...

So... would you like to share the houseboat info, or is it a secret? :D

RumBum:
So... would you like to share the houseboat info, or is it a secret? :D

It's on the other side of the peninsula from the private side entry point. Anyone want to mount an expedition? :snorkel:

sharkster:
It's on the other side of the peninsula from the private side entry point. Anyone want to mount an expedition? :snorkel:
I am hoping to get in the water this weekend somewhere. No definite plans yet. I have only been to Travis once. Fellow scubaboard member, uthrom, and I met and did two dives on the private side on 9-30. He is from Austin and did his checkout dives there. I had a great time and enjoyed meeting a new scubaboard buddy.

Willie

By chance that is not the party boat that sank several summers ago off the shores of Hippy Hollow????

texdiveguy:
By chance that is not the party boat that sank several summers ago off the shores of Hippy Hollow????
I remember that (LOL!) I am pretty sure they recovered that boat, though. :D

sharkster:
Is it an easy penetration?
Just a comment here. I recovered a house boat 2 years ago and even though it had not been in the water long I was impressed with how quickly it had begun to come apart inside. So for one that's been down any lenght of time at all, I would expect lots of fallen paneling, hanging wires, silt etc, so I would be careful not to under estimate the danger of a penetration even though they are otherwise pretty hard to get lost inside.

That said I was hoping the insurance company would total it as I doubted that it was worth the money to recore the fiberglass hull and I was sure it would not be structurally sound unless it was recored as the balsa core was pretty spongy from dry rot. However the insurance company did not total it and it showed up at the lake this season but only shortly as it took on water and nearly sank again. I am still sure the fiberglass hull is structurally shot and I still have hopes of obtaining it cheaply and then cleaning it up for a good overhead environment training site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom