Sub-$500 U/W Camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BradNC

Registered
Reaction score
Can I get recommendations on a decent camera package for a novice / recreational U/W photographer? I want to spend no more than $500. A digital system is preferred but film will be considered.

Thanks for your help.

definately go digital.....

.......now Cannon has some new ones cameras out, so the S500 (5MP + has video clips) can be found for around $300 and the housing is about $170 - itz the one I use - nice and small, so not a problem always taking it around.

- Olympus also have some in the same price range

alcina:
Check out the Canon A series and Canon housings. You don't necessarily need the newest model digital - one of my systems is a 3.2 and I love it.

Olympus Stylus range is also a good bet.

I think the A series will grow with you. You can later add an external strobe, since the a series has manual settings. You should budget camera, housing, and large CF memory card. Your budget of $500 is perfect - later on, add external strobe if desired.

Welcome to the board Brad. What part of NC are you in?
I would also suggest you go digital. On the other hand, there are a lot of MX-10s around that do quite nicely for a novice photographer. They can be had at fairly reasonable prices....including one I have. If you are close to Raleigh, come join us at the UW digital group. You don't need a camera or be a member of any club to join us and you can learn a lot no matter if you are shooting digital or film.

I have an Olympus Camedia C-5000 5.0 megapixle camera I got off Pricegrabber for $200 and the Olympus PT-019 Housing (Pricegrabber as well) for $150 and love it. I'm about to add a Sea-Life Digital Strobe. Check out some of my other posts for pictures, the camera does great above and below the water I have been extremely happy with the set-up, not to mention the price.

herman:
Welcome to the board Brad. What part of NC are you in?
I would also suggest you go digital. On the other hand, there are a lot of MX-10s around that do quite nicely for a novice photographer. They can be had at fairly reasonable prices....including one I have. If you are close to Raleigh, come join us at the UW digital group. You don't need a camera or be a member of any club to join us and you can learn a lot no matter if you are shooting digital or film.

Herman,
I live in western NC between Charlotte and Asheville. I appreciate the invitation.

I know the general area, I grew up in Salisbury.

Jay_SMART_Diver:
I'm about to add a Sea-Life Digital Strobe.

I believe you are about to waste your money. These strobes have a history of flooding and have very littel manual control. You will be way better off in the long run to get something by Ikelite, Inon or Sea & Sea.

I am just trying to save you headaches, heartaches & money.

HTH,
Dave

Back
Top Bottom