Question Non-diving Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a big fan of DSLRs with super-zoom lenses. I run a Sony Alpha 77 with a Tamron 18-250 lens and while you give up some speed, the ability to do everything with one lens is super valuable. I have lost shots while changing between wide angle and zoom lenses and it sucks!

There are tradeoffs that do not translate from the days of film.
Like the higher dynamic range than digital photography, Oh you can do wonders with photoshop or lightroom with layers , shadows and highlights etc.

I miss the E6 quality [slide film].
Sorry, off topic, again.

Why is it that small sensor cameras get beat up on these photo forums for the last decade or more and then phones with sensors the size of a pin head get recommended? Are phones somehow exempt from the laws of optical physics?

The phones benefit from a level of computational photography that no dedicated cameras have. This is critical. No dedicated cameras have anything near comparable processing power, and no dedicated camera manufacturers have anything near comparable ability to create the software.

Unless you really know what you're doing ( plus – actually take the time to apply that skill ), phones are now superior. For "normal" people, phones are superior. And I don't just mean for convenience – I mean for image quality.

"Overall winner for on-the-go photography: iPhone":

I'm a big fan of DSLRs with super-zoom lenses. I run a Sony Alpha 77 with a Tamron 18-250 lens and while you give up some speed, the ability to do everything with one lens is super valuable. I have lost shots while changing between wide angle and zoom lenses and it sucks!
If you really want super zoom, take a look at bridge cameras.

Nikon makes one with a 24 to 3000mm equivalent lens.

The phones benefit from a level of computational photography that no dedicated cameras have. This is critical. No dedicated cameras have anything near comparable processing power, and no dedicated camera manufacturers have anything near comparable ability to create the software.

Unless you really know what you're doing ( plus – actually take the time to apply that skill ), phones are now superior. For "normal" people, phones are superior. And I don't just mean for convenience – I mean for image quality.

"Overall winner for on-the-go photography: iPhone":

Your article only reinforces the limitations of a small sensor. Software wizardry is just smoke and mirrors. It is still a tiny sensor. There is no control of f stop or shutter speed or DOF on my iPhone and while it takes great little snappies as soon as I enlarge them they go to pixilation. I do not care, I just thought it odd the sudden infatuation with megapixels on tiny sensors when for years it has been dynamic range and large sensors with large, in comparison, pixels. If it is good enough then I guess so, I think I will stick with an actual camera and try to use the software in my brain. That is my limitation.

I'm a fan of the sony rx100 series. Small enough to fit in a pocket but still has a full size sensor.
There are other competing cameras out now too.

It is still a tiny sensor.
Mostly irrelevant, today. It was an issue back when you made up your mind.
There is no control of f stop or shutter speed or DOF on my iPhone and while it takes great little snappies as soon as I enlarge them they go to pixilation.
Sounds like a very old iPhone. Even my Sansung Galaxy allows full manual control, and decent enlargements to 16x20 and larger.

Software wizardry is just smoke and mirrors.

If you really believe this, you need to update your knowledge of current technology.

…while [the iPhone] takes great little snappies as soon as I enlarge them they go to pixilation

If this is happening, it means you have either an ancient iPhone, or some kind of technical problem.

I think I will stick with an actual camera

The time for distinguishing between cell phone cameras and "actual cameras" – passed several years ago.

For some perspective on resolution- Joe McNally shot a National Geographic cover story in 2003, using only the flagship Nikon D1x camera.

5.3 megapixels.

That's less than half the resolution of recent iPhones. Below: the cover he shot.

Nikon D1x NatGeo.jpg

Look, you guys think megapixels is it. Okay, I get it. Use your iPhone's. The OP asked for a camera. I appreciate that there are different perspectives on this subject. For me, an iPhone will never do and the 5MP National Geo is exactly my point, huge sensor, lower MP, better photos, more dynamic range, color saturation. Do what you want, it is all good. I am not going to get into a defense of dedicated and controllable and manual capable cameras vs phones and P&S camera which essentially they are.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom