Question Non-diving Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To the OP, what is the intended use of the pictures, and what are the limitations you personally have experienced with your TG-6 and iPh 13 Pro Max that won't get you those pictures/output? I think one of the biggest shortcomings of that pair is only going to be telephoto? If so a m4/3 camera or 1" sensor camera with an appropriate lens + your iPh should pretty much get you everything you need in a travel camera for sight seeing and pictures for social media/ online use. They'll also get you a nice set of 4x6, 5x7, 8x10 prints for an album.

Now if you're talking big prints, then the 1" sensor camera plus a couple of lenses and your iPh should cut it.

Knowing your use/ subject case, and your level of knowledge for shooting outside of a scene mode would help us fine tune some recommendations.

For me, an iPhone will never do and the 5MP National Geo is exactly my point, huge sensor, lower MP, better photos, more dynamic range, color saturation.

The D1x sensor was not huge. It was DX-size, which is much larger than iPhone, but not what one would call "huge" in 2023. More importantly, sensors in 2003 were quite primitive w/respect to dynamic range, compared to today.

I actually used that same Nikon D1x back in the day, so I can compare it directly from my own experience. And the practical dynamic range I get with my current iPhone, via computational photography is impressive. Same for color saturation.

I'm a pro going back to film days, and I'm telling you, in practical terms, a modern iPhone can be quite competitive if you work within its limitations. But you complained specifically- "as soon as I enlarge them [iphone photos] they go to pixilation," which makes zero sense. You also dismiss computational photography as "smoke and mirrors." I just think you should recognize that your understanding of these things needs updating.

... I am getting ready to take a land based trip (driving Rt 66) and can't decide if I want to buy a better camera since the majority of the trip will be "sight seeing" - I probably don't want to spend more than $500-$800. ... For anyone who does surface photography, what would you recommmend?
I have a couple of Pentax K-series lenses left over from my college photography days (mid-1970's). (I sold off my Pentax K2 SLR and a couple other K-series lenses a very long time ago.) A couple of years ago, I purchased from KEH a used Pentax MX camera body that is in extremely good condition and had been freshly CLA-ed by KEH.

I have been enjoying my return to 35mm film photography, taking pics with my MX + Pentax K-Series 35mm f/2 lens. Relatively small package that works well for street/tourist photography. I would recommend these if you're into film. (The "clunk" of the mirror is a bit loud, though!) If I need to reach out a bit farther, I will use my 105mm f2.8. Perhaps, an 85mm would be better than the 105, but, unfortunately, the 85 was one of those lenses that I sold off.

rx7diver

The D1x sensor was not huge. It was DX-size, which is much larger than iPhone, but not what one would call "huge" in 2023. More importantly, sensors in 2003 were quite primitive w/respect to dynamic range, compared to today.

I actually used that same Nikon D1x back in the day, so I can compare it directly from my own experience. And the practical dynamic range I get with my current iPhone, via computational photography is impressive. Same for color saturation.

I'm a pro going back to film days, and I'm telling you, in practical terms, a modern iPhone can be quite competitive if you work within its limitations. But you complained specifically- "as soon as I enlarge them [iphone photos] they go to pixilation," which makes zero sense. You also dismiss computational photography as "smoke and mirrors." I just think you should recognize that your understanding of these things needs updating.

I appreciate that you have an opinion based on your life experiences. As I said, I am not going to get into a www melt down over a difference of opinion on a multifunctional device such as a cell phone vs a dedicated purpose built device such as a camera that is only a camera. I enjoyed your thoughts and hopefully they will also be valuable to the OP in a decision on a travel camera. Thanks.

a multifunctional device such as a cell phone vs a dedicated purpose built device such as a camera that is only a camera
By framing it this way you appear to be arguing that in general something built for one purpose is better than something that may have multiple purposes. That might be true for the one purpose the single-purpose device was built, but the tradeoff is that sometimes you are quite happy to adcept slightly less perfection to get something that serves multiple purposes 99.9% as well. An example is a tool box full of imperial and metric wrenches, versus one adjustable wrench.

I am not going to get into a www melt down over a difference of opinion on a multifunctional device such as a cell phone vs a dedicated purpose built device such as a camera that is only a camera.

The main thing is to recognize that we're in a new era – the rules have changed. I'm actually not so happy about it – the skills I acquired over many years have lost much of the (tangible) value they used to have. But that's just the way it is. One has to recognize new realities. I'm glad that photography is not my career. But I'm enjoying the new ways as well – creating images easily, on-the-fly. E.g. here's a 2019 iPhone image – from an old iPhone Xs, actually…

... Perhaps, an 85mm would be better than the 105, but, unfortunately, the 85 was one of those lenses that I sold off.
This has turned out to be an expensive thread for me! I just pulled the trigger on a (replacement) Pentax K 85mm f/1.8 lens I've been considering.

rx7diver

I'm a big fan of DSLRs with super-zoom lenses. I run a Sony Alpha 77 with a Tamron 18-250 lens and while you give up some speed, the ability to do everything with one lens is super valuable. I have lost shots while changing between wide angle and zoom lenses and it sucks!
I find very few objects for telephoto shots when on dive trips, other than dive boats and liveaboards.

This has turned out to be an expensive thread for me! I just pulled the trigger on a (replacement) Pentax K 85mm f/1.8 lens I've been considering.

rx7diver
Rokinon 1.8/85 is an excellent glass and less expensive. I've used it for several years with K-3, a superb combo.

... E.g. here's a 2019 iPhone image – from an old iPhone Xs, actually…
Very nice pic! It's messing with my film mind, though. The grain reminds me of Tri-X. But, I would have needed to shoot pretty wide open for that narrow DOF. But, it's a bright, sunny day (given the very strong shadows)! So, necessary to use a million ND filters?

Any real film photogs here?

rx7diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom