Stupid or embarrassing things you did when you where training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

N1Hawk

Reaction score
Did you people do or ask anything that made you
feel stuipd asking it during your training?

Example: What are flippers for?

Stuff like that??

N1Hawk

P.S. Respond ONLY if you did this!! :jester:

Well, this was after training.... but for my first dives after checkout I went to a new LDS & needed to rent gear, including a wetsuit. Since they needed to size it for me I took it to the back & struggled for a bout 10 minutes to get the thing on. When I emerge from the changing room, grumbling that I don't think it fits... I am gently told that "the zipper goes in the back"...

-kate

First time in the LDS to reserve rental gear for my check-out dives. I think I had attended only 1 of the 6 classroom sessions at that point. I remember asking, "What's an octopus"?

Scubakat, I did the zipper in front trick too, on my first pool dive. Luckily, one of my fellow students was smarter than me and set me straight.

Other than that, I had a little trouble with buoyancy control during my first OW dive...earned the nickname of "YoYo" from the instructor.

Joewr...you're not the only one with a reverance for 3 dots!

CW

More than once during training and just after o/w certification, put the tank in the BC straps backwards and wondered why the reg was going over my left shoulder.

On my 1st dive after getting certified we were on a wreck in Panama City, Fl. I was overwhelmed by all the cool things underwater that I'd not experienced before. My buddy was experienced and should have watched me better. hehehe Anyway, just off the wreck there were sand dollars on the ocean floor. I went over to check them out and looked up and was amazed. There were thousands of them. One second my buddy was right behind me and the next, there was nobody in sight anywhere. I immediately turned around (so I thought) and was swimming frantically to find someone anywhere. After a minute, I surfaced to see where I was and to my suprise I was about 200 yards off the bow of the boat. The seas were a little rough so I went down to about 20 ft. and went for the boat. It was pretty embarrassing to get to the boat with my buddy already on board saying "and where have you been".

Ldreamin

While doing OW, I would set up my equipment perfectly, never making a mistake once. After certifying for the next 20 dives, I just kept putting my BCD on the tank the wrong way, and sometimes even getting the hoses split up, so I had the reg and inflator on one side, and the gauge and octopus on the other....thankfully the divemasters were very encouraging and would watch the whole fiasco in silence, and then on seeing my look of confusion, would say "I think the inflator hose can reach if you put it on the left hand side...." OUCH!

While doing our first OW skills out at sea, the signal to descend was given. I placed the reg in my mouth and hit the deflate button on my BC. As soon as my head went under, petrol smelling saltwater gushed into my throat and I began to choke like crazy. After kicking frantically to the surface, thinking that my equipment had broken down and was flooding fast, I realised that I had put on the mouthpiece of my snorkel.

Well, I'm sorry, but I think PUTTING the zipper in the back is stupid on the part of the designers!!

During my first pool session, I was a CORK!!! It was so embarrassing that I could not stay down. Fortunately, that is no longer a problem.

One of my good buddies kept putting his tank in backwards. Once I stepped in to help by rotating his tank just before he tightend the cam band. Not to be tricked, he turned the tank back again. When I helped him out once more, he used a couple of epithets and told me he would not be laughed at -again- for putting his tank in wrong again, and turned it once more. At his point the instructor stepped in and told him if dove it that way he would be starting a new trend and only instructors were allowed to start trends. He must have looked at me, the instructor and the tank for five minutes before he realised that I -was- being helpful. His look when the light bulb lit was truly classic!

:tease:

btw... I would share something stupid that I have done, if only I have ever done anything stupid.

:tease:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom