Stuck in Key West with a busted wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kevindwhite

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
2 weeks ago I spec'd out and bought a new wing from Deep Outdoors. Today on my second dive the LPI hose seperated from the wing. The plastic ring the secures the LPI to the wing cracked and snapped off as I was tugging on it to release air. This was a standard maneuver with this any and one I've practiced with this wing dozens of times. I am two days into a five day do e trip with a completely busted wing.

Posted via Mobile Device

Rent a BC, no big deal, enjoy your remaining dives.

Talk to the supplier when you get home.

FWIW the tug dumps always did seem abusive to me.

Pete

If you can find any shop that sells wings, you can probably buy an inflator and screw it on the piece that remains in the wing. At least in my experience, those parts are pretty compatible.

SWEET! I have been happy with my wing . . . good to know they are good with customer service!

BTW which wing is it?

If you can find any shop that sells wings, you can probably buy an inflator and screw it on the piece that remains in the wing. At least in my experience, those parts are pretty compatible.

It seperated at the point where the ring inside the bladder meets the ring on the outside. There are now chunks of broken plastic inside the bladder. It can't be fixed without replacing the bladder. Luckily for me I got friendly with on of the DM's and he loaned me his Halcyon wing for the rest of the day. If you dive Key West, use Southpoint and ask for Andrew.

Posted via Mobile Device

SWEET! I have been happy with my wing . . . good to know they are good with customer service!

BTW which wing is it?

I can't recall the model name. It's the 30lbs+ cave cut. DO is actually sending me the predator wing as a replacement. The model was just released in June. The DO site doesn't even have a photo yet. I should also mention that the diving was so damn awesome that even watching my LPI hose float away can't get me down. I can't wait for Key Largo tomorrow.

Posted via Mobile Device

I called Deep Outdoors. They have agreed to overnight a new wing to my hotel. I'll probably be stuck with rental gear just a half day.

Tobin & Co rocks. They really are great people to deal with. Its an odd feeling to think I can't wait till I have some spare funds to give them. I really hate to hear of your luck, sorta reminds me of a little of mine. I do understand your frustration, but at least your trip is salvageable. Let us know how the trip made out. Take care.

Tobin & Co rocks. They really are great people to deal with. Its an odd feeling to think I can't wait till I have some spare funds to give them. I really hate to hear of your luck, sorta reminds me of a little of mine. I do understand your frustration, but at least your trip is salvageable. Let us know how the trip made out. Take care.

Tobin is Deep Sea Supply

Deep Outdoors makes some nice gear. My doubles wing is one of theirs, and I really like it because of the big top arc -- it helps keep me from being too head heavy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom