Stretching Latex neck seal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cold diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I finally received my new drysuit the other day and when I went to pick it up at the LDS they had the neck seal stretched over a LP95. This strikes me as a huge diameter to stretch this over and I was told to give it a couple more days on my cylinder, also a LP95 before I try trimming it. Is this typical to stretch a seal that much for that long?

Heard of stretching them over something before cutting.

latex seals are trimmed to proper size..Neoprene seals come in sizes and proper size seal should have been installed.Neoprene seals can be stretched a bit to proper fit.Sounds like the lds you went to knows nothing about dry suits or is trying to BS you into thinking that the seal on the suit is for you instead of trimming it to proper fit.

OSS states that their latex seals will stretch (permanently) to a slight degree. I tried it and didn't see much, if any, difference. OSS suggested (or maybe that was someone else) using a tank. I used some bottles for the wrists, and a mixing bowl for the neck. As they suggested, I coated the seals with food grade silicone spray while stetching for a day or two, but really no difference that I could see. Still, shouldn't hurt anything.

OSS states that their latex seals will stretch (permanently) to a slight degree. I tried it and didn't see much, if any, difference. OSS suggested (or maybe that was someone else) using a tank. I used some bottles for the wrists, and a mixing bowl for the neck. As they suggested, I coated the seals with food grade silicone spray while stetching for a day or two, but really no difference that I could see. Still, shouldn't hurt anything.

OSS gave you good advice. Our Latex seals at the neck and wrists will stretch a bit. We do advise that divers use a coke can-or similar- on the wrists, and a coffee can-or tank neck-to insure they get the very best seal once they trim to fit.
Apollo Sports: Dive Gear: Drysuits: 4.0mm EX Drysuit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom