Strange Cozumel Question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Playa del Carmen and Cozumel are nothing like Cancun. Cancun is useful for having an international airport to fly into at significantly reduced fares. The thing to do at that point is transfer directly to Playa del Carmen and then jump on the ferry over to Cozumel.

We have done this twice in the last couple of months and are headed back with another group in February. We have wandered the streets of Cozumel and visited many neighborhood restaurants. It's an absolutely delightful place to be, as is the tourist district of Playa del Carmen. Cancun is a different story...
We paid a little more to fly into Cozumel next month

Cancun is to Cozumel what Miami is to Key Largo.

Having flown into Miami, rented a car at the airport, and high-tailed it out of scary Miami down to peaceful Key Largo a number of times, I think this statement is spot on.

I haven't been there since November but a couple of vendors were complaining that the cruise ships were putting the passengers in vans and taking them on tours etc away from town so in that sense more cruise ships meant less business for them. Of course I can't verify this but it seems like with so many cruise ships at least some of the passengers would be in town shopping and eating. They used to be all over the place until 5 pm.

They built another “town” across the street from the south cruise ship pier. I see a lot of folks hanging out there now. And I do feel San Miguel is a lot quieter than when I was there via cruise ship in 2004.

It is all about the cruise ships there. I have been told that the cruises advise the passengers to not walk around as it could be dangerous. This is absurd but probably has more to do with keeping the passengers in the stores, restaurants and tours where they get a cut.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom