Strange Cozumel Question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't been there in a year. It's easy to forget just when, but that sounds legit.

I know you are missed by many :D Highly unusual, but we haven't been back since September last year when Irma rolled in. I am seriously missing the gang at Rainbow Reef and trying to figure out when we can get back down there. :eyebrow:

You should become a Diveheart volunteer... they use Rainbow Reef and always need help.

BTW, I left three weeks before Irma. I love it up here. :D

an apparent economic slowdown of sorts.

Things are getting a bit rough.

Coz proximity to Venesuela

Cozumel is MUCH closer to the USA than it is to Venezuela and Cozumel's economy is closely linked to that of the USA and barely related at all to that of Venezuela.

First off I believe Cozumel is very safe but the increased criminal activity on the mainland (real or hyped media reports) may be having an effect on general tourism. It probably doesn't matter to divers but general tourists are more sensitive to the issue. Flight loads are a good barometer to tourism and the general economy.

Airlines cut back on flights to Cancun, other tourist spots in Mexico after reports of violence, travelers blacking out | Travel | Dallas News

First off I believe Cozumel is very safe but the increased criminal activity on the mainland (real or hyped media reports) may be having an effect on general tourism. It probably doesn't matter to divers but general tourists are more sensitive to the issue. Flight loads are a good barometer to tourism and the general economy.

Airlines cut back on flights to Cancun, other tourist spots in Mexico after reports of violence, travelers blacking out | Travel | Dallas News

Okay I should of not read that headed to Cozumel next month but are only going from airport to Scuba Club Cozumel and back to airport
But is scary

Okay I should of not read that headed to Cozumel next month but are only going from airport to Scuba Club Cozumel and back to airport
But is scary

Why? Did you see any incidents in Cozumel in that story?

Playa del Carmen and Cozumel are nothing like Cancun. Cancun is useful for having an international airport to fly into at significantly reduced fares. The thing to do at that point is transfer directly to Playa del Carmen and then jump on the ferry over to Cozumel.

We have done this twice in the last couple of months and are headed back with another group in February. We have wandered the streets of Cozumel and visited many neighborhood restaurants. It's an absolutely delightful place to be, as is the tourist district of Playa del Carmen. Cancun is a different story...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom