Strange Cozumel Question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOODMAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife asked me to post this. We are coming back to Coz after a few year hiatus, and one of the things she noticed the last time we were there, was an apparent economic slowdown of sorts. Several shops & restaurants had closed, and some had earlier closing times or weekend only openings. I didn't notice this so much, but she did. So how are things down there these days? We are coming anyway, but just wondering?:popcorn:

I noticed this too, as well as few people in restaurants, even in popular ones. I posted a thread and was assured by those in the know that things were fine.

I have never been in Cozumel but I guess that this could be influenced by Venesuela, whose economy just collapsed. My wild guess that due to Coz proximity to Venesuela there might be issues with products' supply chain.... also, many people might reconsider their vacation in not very stable region. At least I would be looking at other diving directions due to potential safety issues.

Once again, this is my super subjective opinion..... I will go for diving to Philippines and Thailand soon as I currently live in Asia.

I noticed this too, as well as few people in restaurants, even in popular ones. I posted a thread and was assured by those in the know that things were fine.
HMMM... Well, we will see, I guess.

I have never been in Cozumel but I guess that this could be influenced by Venesuela.

The idea that Venezuela has any thing to do with Cozumel's economy or public safety is absurd. Cozumel imports no products from Venezuela. The fact that Cozumel is in the Caribbean as is Venezuela does not mean they have similar public security concerns.

My wife asked me to post this. We are coming back to Coz after a few year hiatus, and one of the things she noticed the last time we were there, was an apparent economic slowdown of sorts. Several shops & restaurants had closed, and some had earlier closing times or weekend only openings. I didn't notice this so much, but she did. So how are things down there these days? We are coming anyway, but just wondering?:popcorn:

What time of year was that? There are slower times of year where some places close or use that as a good time to remodel. Also some shops cater to the cruise industry and close or close early when ships are not in port.

Just got back from our 2nd trip there. All is well in Cozumel. And I should mention...LOTS of fun :wink::cool::)

You think it's slow in Cozumel? You should see Key Largo in September. EVERYONE seems to go on vacation that month and closes their restaurant etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom