Storage of gear near furnace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pongo1998

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm sure this has been asked but I can't find it. I have an electric furnace with an electronic air cleaner in my mechanical room along with an electric water heater and a refrigerator. I am hanging my wetsuits, BCD's, and regulators about 5-6 feet from said equipment, is this a problem? Will the little ozone produced harm my equipment?

Storing dry suits with latex seals near ozone generating devices is a not recommended. For years I stored my dry in a plastic garbage bag and in an action packer. The seals lasted a long time. I would suggest something similar for your gear. At least put in some sort of protect tub.

I took the seals off my suit and store them in ziplock bags with the air sucked out of the bags.

Ozone is very agressive on all materials and along with vapour of deluter or gasoline which is common in workshops can significantly harm a drysuit, incl. soft parts of the zipper. This is how I was advised about storing my dry suit in garage.

I don't have a drysuit only wetsuits, BCD's, and regulators

We have a local fire & rescue group that keeps their equipment "at the ready" in their truck in their garage. About every 3-4 years, we have to replace every hose on the reg sets. Petroleum based fumes are hell on rubber. Ozone isn't much better. I would bag it up and seal it in a container if you're not going to use it for a while.

Any more ozone and heat than necessary is not a good thing - unless you just don't have a better choice.

I'm sure this has been asked but I can't find it. I have an electric furnace with an electronic air cleaner in my mechanical room along with an electric water heater and a refrigerator. I am hanging my wetsuits, BCD's, and regulators about 5-6 feet from said equipment, is this a problem? Will the little ozone produced harm my equipment?

If the regs are dacor vipers and the BCs are overbloated jackets, no problem at all....hehe. In fact, you could try storing them in the furnace.

But if it's gear you want to keep for a while, probably storing them next to heat and ozone is a bad idea. I don't honestly know for sure, I just never like to miss an opportunity to slam jacket BCs. :wink:

Thanks everyone for your help

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom