Stiff vs. Flexible fins, flutter kick vs. frog kick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eh? It's been 17 years, but I seem to recall my PADI instructor calling the propulsion technique we were being taught "the bicycle kick," and being taught that it is similar to a surface swimmer's flutter kick except that you should flex at the knees and hips. In other words, my scuba instructor did not teach the same "flutter kick" as my childhood swim instructor, though the same term was used.

Much later, my GUE instructor taught yet another "flutter kick," where you don't flex the hips at all, but rather do all the flexing at the knees.
I honestly don't recall being taught any specific kick in OW class though I'm sure we were. I think the "bicycle kick" is what happens when the new diver is trying to flutter but is foot heavy and has a head up trim.

My understanding is there is a standard flutter kick, the kick we are most familiar as new divers. Then the modified flutter that is what Lorenzoid described with the knees bent. Then the frog and the modified frog, again with the knees bent.

I tend to dive on small boats and liveaboards so I don't see too many beginner divers.

A poor flutter kick is fairly easy to correct. A good frog kick is harder to learn. When I do a swim through I tend to use a modified flutter. I find it easier and can use it in narrow swim throughs as well as when low to the bottom.

If I were doing cave and/or wreck penetration dives I would probably would have kept my Jet Fins and do a lot more frog kicking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom