Stiff vs. Flexible fins, flutter kick vs. frog kick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I believe it is easier to frog kick with a stiff fin vs. a flexible fin.

I prefer a flexible fin for flutter kicking because my legs tire when flutter kicking with a stiff fin.

I also believe there are certain situations where a flutter kick is preferred and vice versa when a frog kick is preferred.

Do people own different types of fins and switch depending on the type of dive they do ?

I have full foot fins for warm boat diving and open heel for cold or shore diving. Because of the type of diving I do, I prefer a softer blade for both

I use Jet Fins for everything except non tech spearfishing or non scuba, for those I go with freediving fins

I agree -- stiff paddle fins are not perfect for flutter kicking, if you want to make tracks. Floppy fins don't do precise maneuvering well. I have found a middle ground -- the Mares Power Planas I'm diving are stiff enough to do any kick, and flexible enough to generate speed when flutter kicking, without exhausting my legs.

Stiff require some leg strength to flutter kick effectively. I've found the Mares Avanti Quattro Plus to do both kicks reasonably well. I agree with Lynne re Power Planas but they are quite heavy, not sure if I'd want to use them in a wetsuit. If you have small feet you may run into fitting issues with Power Planas in wet boots. I'm a 6.5 and the small Power Planas are too big unless in a drysuit. In fact the small Quattros are also a little big in a wet boot, I take up the space by wearing neoprene socks with the boots. The DiveRite XT fin is a fin I like great for most kicks but being quite stiff does require some reasonable leg strength to flutter kick for any length of time. The "made in Taiwan" Turbo Planas are another good middle ground fin but am unsure if they are available to markets outside Asia, I think not. Prior to learning to frog kick properly I would use a modified scissor kick but now almost always just frog kick so stiff paddles are my fin of choice.

---------- Post added June 19th, 2015 at 08:05 PM ----------

I own more than 10 pairs of fins and have owned must be close to 20. "Hi, I'm a finaholic, it's been 6 weeks since my last purchase..."

I do swap around a bit depending on the dive and my mood.

Buddhasummer, you make me feel better. I own six, and have sold one.

Buddhasummer, you make me feel better. I own six, and have sold one.

Yes, the quest to find the perfect fin is endless. To be honest it's been finding a fin that fits well that has been my biggest hurdle. Sometimes I wish I had big feet and strong legs. My body is a little circus freakish, my whole life has been a struggle to find things that fit, diving equipment has been a little more problematic, suits, masks, fins, boots etc...I think god was having a chuckle when he/she made me.

To be honest it's been finding a fin that fits well that has been my biggest hurdle. Sometimes I wish I had big feet and strong legs.

My wife and I have same size fins, only on me they're still a little too wide and I picked them for the narrowest foot pocket from all the ones I tried. I do have strong legs and am looking for much stiffer fins. Aeris accels are supposed to be stiff and can be had for a nice price now but IME "Foot Pocket, Accommodates Wide Range of Boot Styles" means it's too wide for me. I wish they stopped making "foot pockets" and just left it at FF-style strap across the metatarsals.

My wife and I have same size fins, only on me they're still a little too wide and I picked them for the narrowest foot pocket from all the ones I tried. I do have strong legs and am looking for much stiffer fins. Aeris accels are supposed to be stiff and can be had for a nice price now but IME "Foot Pocket, Accommodates Wide Range of Boot Styles" means it's too wide for me. I wish they stopped making "foot pockets" and just left it at FF-style strap across the metatarsals.
Do you use hard-soled boots? Can make a difference in the fit of the pocket. If you don't, it may be worth trying.

I was a finaholic. Sold my Mares Quattro Powers, gave Jets to my friend. Both too stiff for me and the way I dive. Donated my Aqua Lung blades and Deep See fins to the local diving charity.

Although I don't have a lot of brute leg strength, I can go very fast when needed. This comes up regularly for me since I shoot video and need to keep up with marine life. Flexible fins suit me best as a compromise for speed, and endurance.

Last edited:
Do you use hard-soled boots? Can make a difference in the fit of the pocket. If you don't, it may be worth trying.
Thanks, I'll keep it in mind. The problem with too wide is twisting, I suspect it'd still be there only not as bad (twisting the fin and the boot together)...

Back
Top Bottom