Sticker $$ shock on gear!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not just Scuba gear that's expensive. Pretty much any sport you get into these days is gonna set you back a lot of $$$ if you're really interested in doing it full time. For me, I like to road bike a lot. A good performance bike will go between $2,000 and $5,000. When I was a kid I couldn't fathom that a bike would cost that much.

Let's see, I also play some golf. If I want to upgrade to a new set of irons & woods, it will set me back about $2,000 as well.

When I was racing motorcycles a weekend at the races would cost me about $800-1000 and that's for just disposible items, at a minimum:
$400 for tires, $75 for fuel, $200 in racing fees, $120 for staying overnight near the track and god forbit I make a mistake and crash then it's $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to fix my bike.
My ZCustom racing leather suit alone cost me $1,500.

Scuba I think is moderately expensive but hardly the most expensive.

Interesting that there are other motorcycle riders/racers over here! Perhaps the pursuit of some interests go together? :eyebrow:

that's not too expensive, I paid $110 for my mask, $170+ for my Atomic Split fins and about $50 for my Atomic sv2 snorkel.

So you paid $110 for a mask and $170 for split fins and $50 for a snorkel. Your LDS must love you. I get my mask for under $20 bucks , they have a good seal and I can see out of them fine, my fins are OMS and cost $60 bucks, do not use a snorkel but I would not pay over $12 bucks for one. I kind on think the gear does not make the diver,

By Not getting yourself a computer at first...

you just Dont need one unless your going to be doing in excess of 3 dives/day or multiple dives exceeding 60' or so...

I'm into my 2nd year of diving... 117 dives so far and the Only time I felt I could have used a computer was when diving at 120' and wanted to maximize my bottomtime (I actually DID have an ol' Dacor Microbrain for that dive that worked just fine, but since I got it as part of a lot Real cheap I dont count it as actually "buying a dive computer" yet).

So... again... you dont need it/save some money... get Solid on your tables for a year... Then buy a computer if you want... Plus, Nextyear they'll be even cheaper/better (such is the way off all things computer).

Alex:

When I mentioned my Vyper, I listed it because it's what I used recently. What I didn't mention is that I use it exclusively in gauge mode- I NEVER use the computer so it is an expensive bottom timer. Some may ask why bother, especially since I have two Uwatec bottom timers (which have nothing more than depth, time, temperature, ascent rate and a basic log), I will respond with I like my backlight and user replaceable battery feature.

PvtStash brought up excellent points and I agree with them all but I would even plan my dives past three with tables and a bottom timer or a computer in gauge mode. The bottom line, look around for a simple bottom timer- I got my Uwatecs for about 60 USD a piece. The down side to these BT's, once they're dead, they're dead. If you buy them used, you will have no strong idea on how long they have left (lifespan usually 10 years advertised).

The moral though, a computer is a luxury not a necessity. And to me not even a luxury. Use tables for a bit, save your money, do some research on different computers if you want, and then drop three hammers- One for each diver.

I hope this helps and good luck.

With kindest regards,
Thomas

I wish I could get some of the deals on Computers and other equipment in Aust that you have in the US or UK!!!! It would be alot cheaper!!! But I made the decision to dive and I am not going to regret that....Dive and enjoy....

Better to spend the money on quality equipment now than when you realise the cheap equipment doesnt work at 30m below!

complete set og scuba gear including tank, computer, drysuit and lead.. $2500 approx at the time I bought it and its "midrange" gear.
A midrange set of skiing/snowboarding equipment would cost me less than half that (clothing excluded). Dont think skiing is even close to up there unless youre one of those posers who need flashy new clothing for every trip you go to..

That being said.. The initial investments of scuba gear is fairly high if you want to own your own gear. I think I could get a midrange skydiving rig for the price of my diving gear. (un?)Fortunately I dont skydive anymore as I didnt have the time and money (as I was studying at the time) to keep my certification valid. Atleast with skiing theres no certifications that need to be taken or maintained. And it dont cost me anything in trips either, since I live less than 10 minutes away from a resort. Reminds me of the 1000s of USD i spent on dive trips the past year.. 3rd trip to the red sea coming up in less than a month :D

I've been shocked by the cost of scuba gear as well --but the other way. I can't believe the deals that are out there right now. Believe me, I wish I were just kitting up now, I'd save a fortune.

Jeff

I've been shocked by the cost of scuba gear as well --but the other way. I can't believe the deals that are out there right now. Believe me, I wish I were just kitting up now, I'd save a fortune.

Jeff
Aint that true?!
Gear similar to what I spent 2,5k getting I would probably get for well under 2k now if I went looking for a good deal..

Alex:

I have two Uwatec bottom timers (which have nothing more than depth, time, temperature, ascent rate and a basic log), I will respond with I like my backlight and user replaceable battery feature.
I got my Uwatecs for about 60 USD a piece. The down side to these BT's, once they're dead, they're dead. If you buy them used, you will have no strong idea on how long they have left (lifespan usually 10 years advertised).

has been a Target $17.95 Armitron that I jus' put into stopwatch mode at the start of my dive... it says WR165 on the front... its been as deep as 120'... good to go...

That Dacor of mine is 20+ years old, I cant believe it still works... the word on the street tho' is that its Not a user-replaceable battery and even if I could find someone who could do it for me I'd be much better served jus' putting that money into a Non-vintage dive computer.... :)

I'm going to buy a computer Aug./Sept. of 2010... couple months before my liveaboard trip... something for under $500...

Alex,

take a look at online stores, its always a way to go if you know what your looking for. Dive Right In Scuba always has good deals and sales going on: Dive Right In Scuba -#1 for Scuba Diving Training & Lessons Illinois

Some others are:
Leisure Pro: Buy scuba gear, scuba diving and snorkeling equipment, and everything underwater from LeisurePro.com
Scuba Toys: Scuba Gear Scuba Diving Equipment Discount dive gear Snorkeling Equipment and Wetsuits Cheap online
Divers Direct: Find Scuba Gear and Diving Gear at the World's Largest Scuba Equipment and Dive Equipment Retailer!
Joe Diver America: Scuba Equipment Discount | Snorkel Equipment & Gear | Scuba Gear | Diving Equipment | Buy Scuba Diving Equipment - Gear | at JoeDiverAmerica!

You will find many websites that offer cheaper prices then what your paying. I usually spend some time on the net before I purchase anything, and I never buy anything from the LDS unless I have to.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom